Stephanie A. Lucas focuses her practice on data privacy, data protection, intellectual property transactions, cybersecurity, advertising and consumer protection law. Stephanie works closely with clients on understanding their data collection and sharing procedures, and she conducts a holistic review of companies’ data usage and disclosure practices to ensure compliance with state and federal law.
Her experience also includes advising clients on the relevant state and federal privacy laws for particular industries, such as the healthcare, educational, financial, software and e-commerce industries, and implementing tailored privacy policies in line with legal obligations and company business practices.
A Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US) by the International Association of Privacy Professionals, Stephanie helps clients understand the practical privacy implications of their business and data collection practices, and offers pragmatic solutions for each client’s privacy and cybersecurity needs.
- Regularly advises clients on the privacy, data sharing and marketing, and disclosure obligations for the California Shine the Light Act and the California Online Privacy Protection Act (CalOPPA).
- Advises companies on data storage, retention and consumer privacy obligations under the California Consumer Protection Act (CCPA), and performs framework analysis with a variety of clients to ensure compliance with the CCPA.
- Regularly designs and conducts data practice assessments for a variety of clients including financial institutions, retail establishments, social media companies, non-profit organizations and e-commerce websites to discern clients’ data storage and data sharing practices with respect to internal operations, affiliates, vendors and service providers.
- Advises on HIPAA compliance issues with covered entities and business associates, and defends clients in responding to Office of Civil Rights (OCR) inquiries related to client healthcare storage, protection and sharing of protected health information.
- Counsels clients on print and online promotional marketing, including advising on the appropriate disclosures and compliance issues with contests, sweepstakes, social media promotions and influencer campaigns, as well as developing state compliant rules and guidance documents for promotional campaigns.
- Regularly advises clients about the Federal Trade Commission’s (FTC) regulation of social media influencer programs and the appropriate disclosures for endorsements of programs, products and companies.
- American Bar Association
- International Association of Privacy Professionals, Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US)
Community : University of California, Los Angeles Law Alumni Association
- J.D., University of California, Los Angeles School of Law, 2016, Order of the Barristers, Moot Court Honors Board
- B.A., Political Science, University of California, Los Angeles, 2011, Student Body Vice President
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
Rate : $$$