Stephanie A. Webster represents hospitals, health systems and other clients in cutting-edge administrative and federal court litigation and counsels them regarding complex regulatory and compliance issues.
Stephanie formerly served as an attorney for the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), Division of the Office of General Counsel for the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). She has been recognized as a leading health care lawyer by Law360, Chambers USA and Nightingale’s Healthcare News.
- Offers extensive experience in administrative and regulatory litigation involving the Administrative Procedure Act (APA).
- Practice focuses on challenging agency action under Medicare, Medicaid and other federal agency programs.
- Represented hundreds of hospitals (including argument) in the lead federal court case challenging the 0.2 percent reduction to hospital payment rates made in 2014 in connection with the “two-midnight rule” (Shands v. Burwell).
- Served as co-counsel in thousands of appeals for more than 700 hospitals in challenges to a Medicare budget neutrality factor accounting for the impact of the wage index rural floor, including the lead case that successfully overturned the government’s erroneous methodology and led to the largest-ever Medicare litigation settlement (Cape Cod Hospital v. Sebelius).
- Represented large academic medical centers on compliance issues relating to the 340B drug pricing program, including a congressional investigation.
- Prevailed in significant D.C. Circuit litigation invalidating substantive change in Medicare Disproportionate Share payments without proper notice and comment (Allina Health Services v. Sebelius).
- Successfully represented medical device company Alcresta Therapeutics in a first-of-its kind federal court challenge to an agency decision denying proper medical coding.
- Represented Medicare Advantage health plan in overturning agency denial of service area expansion.
- Member, Healthcare Financial Management Association.
- Member, American Bar Association.
- Member, Women’s Bar Association of the District of Columbia.
- Member, Advisory Council, Jayne Koskinas Ted Giovanis Foundation for Health and Policy.
- Chair, Children’s Hospital Affinity Group of the In-House Counsel and Teaching Hospital and Academic Medical Center Practice Groups, American Health Lawyer Association.
- J.D., University of Virginia School of Law, 1994
- B.A., Yale University, cum laude, 1990
- District of Columbia
Rate : $$$