Stephen M. Azia, shareholder in the Washington, D.C. office, is a member of the Firm’s Health Law Group. Mr. Azia has more than 20 years of experience counseling clients in health care reimbursement, coverage, compliance, Medicare and Medicaid appeals, HIPAA, managed care, and legislative and regulatory advocacy.
He has represented suppliers, providers, manufacturers, and national and state trade associations before various government agencies and Congress.
Mr. Azia’s practice includes representation of clients subject to various audits and investigations conducted by Recovery Audit Contractors (RACs), Zone Program Integrity Contractors (ZPICs), Medicare Administrative Contractors (MACs), and the Department of Health and Human Services Office of Inspector General (HHS OIG).
Mr. Azia has extensive experience representing suppliers and providers before Administrative Law Judges and the Medicare Appeals Council of the Departmental Appeals Board.
Prior to entering private practice, Mr. Azia was the Associate Director of Government Relations for the Health Industry Distributors Association (HIDA), a national business trade association of medical distributors and home care companies.
- University of Connecticut School of Law, J.D., 1989
- Colgate University, B.A. Political Science, 1986
- District of Columbia, 1991
- Connecticut, 1989
Representative Matters :
- Successfully overturned large extrapolated overpayments for various clients during the Medicare appeals process.
- Represented a large state school district before the Departmental Appeals Board in a case involving Medicaid administrative claims for services performed over a multi-year period. The DAB ruled favorably, allowing the challenged expenditures to be paid to the school district.
- Navigated client through HIPAA investigation conducted by the HHS Office of Civil Rights. Investigation was dismissed and no penalties assessed.
- Filed a bid protest to the Government Accountability Office on behalf of a manufacturer contesting the award of a large health care contract by the Department of Veterans Affairs. In response to the bid protest, the VA terminated the awardee’s contract and took corrective action.
- Helped conduct and respond to interview and document requests during an investigation of pharmacies by the U.S. Attorney’s Office in the Southern District of Florida.
- Represented a Florida client subject to Medicaid fraud investigation. Presented detailed evidence demonstrating fundamental errors in case which was subsequently withdrawn.
Professional Honors & Activities:
- Member – American Health Lawyers Association
- Member – District of Columbia Bar Association
- Member – Connecticut Bar Association
Rate : $$$$