Stephen E. Baskin is a partner in Mayer Brown’s Intellectual Property Litigation practice and serves as the IP Practice Leader for the Washington DC Office. With over 20 years of experience, Steve is a first-chair trial lawyer with substantial experience representing technology companies in patent litigation, licensing and trade secret disputes, and other complex matters.
Steve leads all types of patent litigation cases, with a results oriented approach that is focused on achieving the client’s overall desired result, which he understands can vary case by case. Steve also spends considerable time counseling clients in pre-litigation matters, analyzing patents and related technology in either defending allegations or conducting due diligence in potential offensive actions for clients.
Steve is currently advising clients in several such matters involving technical areas, such as the use of RFID and related technology; the use of website functionality directed to features involving search criteria and functions related to specific industries; review of certain mechanical features related to use of centrifugal industrial pumps, and case involving specific types of engine washing systems utilizing detection functionality.
Steve also recently participated in a month long arbitration for a client involving standard essential patents directed to specific telecommunication standards and functions, and is representing a substantial technology company involving ATM functionality directed to specific hardware and software functions allowing for envelope free deposits.
Steve’s litigation and trial experience is broad and has included the representation of some of the largest and most well-known companies, including airlines; financial services institutions; manufacturing, technology, telecommunications and consumer products companies.
Steve’s matters regularly involve representing companies in disputes related to electrical, computer software, telecommunications, mechanical and business method patents. Steve focuses on providing practical advice with a common sense approach to resolving matters, while aggressively protecting or pursuing his client’s interests.
Steve is also very involved in the community and public affairs. He chairs the Corporate Area Board for the American Cancer Society and serves as a Board of Director for Thanks USA and DC Appleseed.
- Case Western Reserve University School of Law, JD
- Ohio University, BS
- US District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- US District Court for the District of Columbia
- US District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- US District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
- American Cancer Society, Chair of Executive Area Board
- ThanksUSA, Board of Directors
- D.C. Appleseed Foundation, Board of Directors
- Sharpe Innovations, Inc. v. Cricket Wireless LLC (Eastern District of Virginia). Representing Cricket Wireless in a patent infringement matter in the Eastern District of Virginia involving patents related to micro SIM card adaptors.
- NCR Corporation v. Pendum, LLC et al (Northern District of Georgia). Representing NCR Corporation in the Northern District of Georgia in a trademark and copyright infringement and misappropriation of trade secrets matter against Pendum, LLC and Burroughs, INC.
- Anuwave, LLC v. Jacksboro National Bancshares, Inc. et al (Eastern District of Texas). Defended Jacksonboro National Bancshares, Inc. in a patent infringement matter against Anuwave LLC in which alleged infringement of a patent that allowed users to receive bank services via SMS messages.
- Olivistar LLC . Regions Bank (Eastern District of Texas). Represented Regions Bank in a patent infringement matter involving cloud storage systems.
- Createads v. Media Temple. Defended Media Temple in a patent infringement case in the D. of Delaware involving web development technology. CreateAds LLC v. Media Temple, Inc., No. 1:13-cv-00115 (D. Del., filed January 18, 2013).
Rate : $$$