Stephen D. Davis focuses his practice on mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, foreign direct investment, private equity and venture capital, project finance and development, and restructurings and reorganizations.
Steve represents sponsors, developers and project companies; sellers and buyers; financial institutions; and private equity investors. He spent six and a half years in the Asia-Pacific region, working on matters from Australia to South Korea and from India to the Philippines. His work over the past three decades has spanned six continents.
- Has worked on a wide range of deals spanning six continents.
- Spent more than six years practicing in the Asia-Pacific region.
- Advises on major energy transactions globally.
- Served as counsel to a large independent commodity trader and a large Asian chemical and trading company in connection with large U.S. Gulf Coast LPG export projects, including numerous long-term propane, butane and natural gasoline supply and sales contracts, as well as related transportation, storage and terminaling agreements.
- Counseled a large private equity fund in connection with its investment in and the further development of a proposed propane dehydrogenation (PDH) facility to be built on the U.S. Gulf Coast, including propane supply, propylene off-take, EPC contract, site and real estate, equity investment and project financing matters.
- Advised SK E&S Ltd., a Korean conglomerate, in connection with its contract to acquire capacity in Train 3 of the Freeport LNG export project, including related regulatory, international trade and DOE matters, and a “shale joint venture” involving acquisition of interests in U.S. oil and gas properties on a “cash and carry” basis.
- Advised Chevron Phillips Chemical Company in connection with the formation of Americas Styrenics LLC, a joint venture involving styrene and polystyrene facilities located in Brazil, Columbia and the United States, including negotiation of numerous related long-term supply and sales contracts, both for feedback and as product sales.
- Represented one of the largest U.S. midstream companies in connection with several joint ventures and the development of new natural gas, natural gas liquids (NGLs), and crude oil pipelines and other infrastructure.
- Represented an international energy company in its acquisition of various pipeline and terminaling assets in Mexico as well as related ongoing commercial and project agreements.
- Advised a leading private equity firm in connection with its proposed investment in and further development of a world-scale new-build petrochemical project to be constructed on the U.S. Gulf Coast.
- Counseled an international refining and marketing company in connection with the sale of its interest in a Southeast Asian refinery.
- Represented Sinopec International Petroleum Exploration and Production Company (Sinopec) in connection with its agreement with Repsol Brasil to subscribe for new shares comprising 40 percent of the share capital of Repsol Brasil for an aggregate base consideration of $7.1 billion and related shareholder, subscription and diligence matters.
- Advised an Asian company in connection with a joint venture to develop LPG (propane, butane) export facilities on the U.S. Gulf Coast.
- Advised the developer in connection with development of a proposed natural gas pipeline from Canada to the United States and back to Canada and of an LNG liquefaction project to export LNG.
- Represented a prominent private equity firm in connection with its bid to acquire a California refinery and related retail marketing assets.
- Advised the seller in the U.S. $350 million sale of a Cayman Islands subsidiary that held producing oil and gas properties offshore India.
- Represented India’s largest natural gas company, GAIL (India) Limited, in connection with its acquisition of capacity in Dominion’s Cove Point LNG export project and related regulatory, pipeline and gas supply matters, including extensive analysis of DOE non-FTA export authorization matters.
- Advised an international petrochemical company in the sale of one of its business lines, which required complex structuring to carve the relevant assets out of a series of large, integrated facilities.
- Counseled an international E&P company in obtaining financing from JOGMEC (Japan Oil, Gas and Metals National Corporation) in connection with the development of a U.S. oil and gas project.
- Represented an Asian energy company in connection with its bid to acquire interests in Nigerian oil mining leases and the related purchase and sale agreement.
- Advised on matters relating to an acquisition of interests in troubled Philippine power companies from a troubled Singapore company and related restructuring issues.
- Represented a clean water technology and equipment company on transactions to raise funding for the further expansion of its business providing technology and equipment to treat flowback water from hydraulic fracturing of shale gas wells.
- IFLR Asia M&A Forum, “Opportunities in Natural Resources”, moderator, Hong Kong, Feb. 25, 2014.
- “The United States as an Energy Exporter,” Asian In-House Congress, presenter, Hong Kong, Oct. 8, 2014.
- “North American Energy Independence – Fact or Fiction,” River Oaks Breakfast Club, speaker, Houston, TX, Oct. 22, 2014.
- “The Exploration & Production of an Oil & Gas Restructuring,” Akin Gump CLE, panelist, New York, NY, May 7, 2015.
- “Navigating Lower Commodity Prices and Opportunities in the Oil & Gas Industry,” Akin Gump Energy Symposium, presenter, La Jolla, CA, Sept. 11, 2015.
- Corporate Roundtable audio conference, panelist, Jan. 19, 2016.
- “Midstream, G&P Contracts, MLPs, Taxes,” Credit Suisse Restructuring Mini-Conference, presenter, Houston, TX, Feb. 1, 2016.
- “The New Energy Paradigm: Investing and Operating in the Current Market,” Akin Gump Briefing, panelist, Houston, TX, Feb. 25, 2016.
- “Construction and Major Projects in a Distressed Environment,” Akin Gump CLE, presenter, Houston, TX, April 13, 2016.
- “Strategies to Survive or Thrive: New Thinking in Tackling the Current Commercial and Financial Issues Facing O&G Related Companies,” The Oil Council’s Asia Pacific Commercial and Legal Retreat, panelist, Singapore, July 14, 2016.
- “Energy Infrastructure: Impact on Deals & Projects,” Akin Gump CLE, moderator, Houston, TX, Oct. 3, 2018.
- Past Member, Texas Supreme Court Task Force on the Practice of International Law.
- Member, Association of International Petroleum Negotiators.
- Member and past Chair, State Bar of Texas, International Section.
- The Best Lawyers in America, Houston Energy Law “Lawyer of the Year,” 2013.
- The Legal 500, Energy, 2017.
- Houston Business Journal, Who’s Who in Energy, 2012-2017.
- Lawyers Worldwide Award Magazine, Innovative Lawyer, 2017.
- Who’s Who Legal: Project Finance,
- Who’s Who Legal: Energy, 2014-2018.
- Expert Guides’ Guide to the World’s Leading Banking & Finance Lawyers,
- Euromoney Expert Guide to the World’s Leading Energy and Natural Resource Lawyers, 1998-2018.
- Expert Guides’ Guide to the World’s Leading Energy Lawyers, 2013-2018.
- International Who’s Who of Project Finance Lawyers, 2013-2018.
- Expert Guide’s Best of the Best USA, Top 30 Lawyer in the USA, 2017-2018.
- The Best Lawyers in America, Energy Law, Corporate Law and International Trade and Finance Law, 2005-2019.
- IFLR 1000, Notable Practitioner, M&A and Project Finance, 2019.
- J.D., University of Texas School of Law, with honors, 1981
- B.S.Ch.E., Louisiana State University, with honors, 1979
Rate : $$$