Stephen S. Dobson is a member of Baker Donelson’s Government Enforcement and Investigations Group and has served as an Assistant United States Attorney. A member of Baker Donelson’s Government Enforcement and Investigations Group, Mr. Dobson has more than 20 years of experience in criminal practice, including significant cases in health care fraud, securities fraud, tax fraud, public corruption, and a variety of white collar crimes.
Before he began private practice, Mr. Dobson also served as an Assistant United States Attorney for the Northern District of Florida. Prior to attending law school, Mr. Dobson worked for the Florida Department of Law Enforcement for 15 years where he served in a variety of positions, including Special Agent, Special Agent Supervisor, and Inspector.
- Florida State University College of Law, J.D., 1988, with honors
- Florida State University, B.S., 1976
- Florida, 1988
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, 2007
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit, 1991
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida, 1993
- Former Speaker of the Florida House of Representatives charged by the Second Judicial Circuit of Florida, Leon County, with official misconduct, perjury in an official proceeding, grand theft of more than $100,000, and conspiracy to commit grand theft. Six-day jury trial ended with an entry of a Nolle Prosequi by the State Attorney dismissing the charges following the judge’s ruling that the State had failed to prove the existence of a conspiracy.
- Client received a target letter from the United States Attorney’s Office, Middle District of Florida, Tampa Division, in a major health care fraud investigation. A lengthy presentation was made to the U.S. Attorney and top assistants. After a four-year investigation, the client was not charged.
- Former president of an insurance company charged by the United States Attorney’s Office, Northern District of Florida, Tallahassee Division with conspiracy to defraud the Florida Office of Insurance Regulation, the Florida Hurricane Catastrophe (CAT) Fund, the State Board of Administration, and Paragon Strategic Solutions, Inc. in an amount greater than $20 million dollars. There was a five-day trial concluding in a verdict of not guilty per a judgment of acquittal by the Honorable Robert Hinkle.
- NFL player charged by the Second Judicial Circuit of Florida, Leon County, with felony bribery. Jury trial resulted in a not guilty verdict.
- Technology Chief of Staff for the State of Florida (appointed by Governor Jeb Bush) was charged by the Second Judicial Circuit of Florida, Leon County with felony grand theft. Jury trial resulted in a not guilty verdict.
Professional Honors & Activities:
- Member – American Bar Association
- Member – Federal Bar Association
- Member – William H. Stafford Chapter of the American Inn of Court
- Member – Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Member – Association of the Trial Lawyers of America
- Member – Exchange Club of Tallahassee
Rate : $$$$