Stephen “Steve” G. Gorell is a partner in the firm’s Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation practice. He represents large public and private corporations, law firms and nonprofit organizations in a broad range of employee benefits and compensation matters, including regulatory compliance, corporate transactions, dispute resolution and employment and severance agreements.
Steve has developed a particular expertise in benefits integration and disintegration in connection with corporate transactions and in the design and implementation of sophisticated tax-qualified retirement arrangements for partnerships and other professional service organizations.
Steve has practiced extensively before the Internal Revenue Service, the Department of Labor and the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation. With over 35 years of experience as an employee benefits attorney—including serving as Associate General Tax Counsel for a Fortune 50 corporation as well as in a senior position with a major consulting organization—Steve brings a unique perspective to the Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation group and is well positioned to advise clients in crafting practicable, administrable solutions to complex issues.
Representative Matters :
- Designed multiple early retirement windows for public companies, involving enhanced benefits under qualified pension plan
- Consolidated numerous savings and pension plans in connection with multiple corporate acquisitions
- Advised regarding benefits restructuring in connection with corporate acquisitions/dispositions
- Designed cash balance and variable annuity pension plans for law firms and investment companies
Professional Experience :
- Director, Price Waterhouse Coopers, 1997 – 1998
- Associate General Tax Counsel, Union Pacific Corporation, 1981 – 1987
- Clerk, The Honorable Shiro Kashiwa, United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- New York University School of Law, LL.M., 1979, Taxation
- Syracuse University College of Law, J.D., 1978
- Case Western Reserve University, B.A., 1975, Taxation
BAR ADMISSIONS : New York
Rate : $$$