Stephen A. Jonas is co-chair of the firm’s White Collar Defense and Investigations Practice. His practice focuses on representing corporations and individuals in investigations and criminal defense and grand jury matters.
Mr. Jonas’ work includes the full range of representation of clients in this area from internal corporate investigations to federal grand jury representation to criminal trials and appeals. He has represented clients in jurisdictions around the country, as well as in cross-border investigations.
Mr. Jonas also handles related False Claims Act cases, government enforcement proceedings and civil litigation. He has substantial experience in the areas of federal healthcare fraud, immigration fraud, accounting fraud, securities fraud, economic espionage and environmental crimes.
Mr. Jonas also has experience in the unique issues of representing corporate and outside legal counsel in government investigations. Finally, Mr. Jonas frequently represents clients in investigations and litigation involving State Attorneys General.
Mr. Jonas joined Hale and Dorr in 1984. In 1988, Mr. Jonas was appointed Deputy Attorney General and Chief of the Public Protection Bureau of the Massachusetts Attorney General’s Office, which handled all of the Commonwealth’s environmental, civil rights and consumer enforcement investigations and litigation, as well as its nuclear plant safety and asbestos property damage litigation. Mr. Jonas rejoined the firm in 1991.
Mr. Jonas is a member of the American Bar Association, the Massachusetts Bar Association and the National Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys.
- Representing international pharmaceutical and medical device companies in federal criminal healthcare fraud investigations conducted by the DOJ and related false claims act cases
- Representing medical device and pharmaceutical company executives and employees in criminal healthcare fraud investigations conducted by the DOJ
- Representing an Indian-based worldwide business technology company in federal grand jury and related investigations concerning immigration matters
- Trial counsel for the former executive vice president and general counsel of a software company in a federal securities fraud trial
- Representing an investment advisory firm in connection with a federal investigation and trial of public corruption in New York State
- Representing a Far East-based food processing company in a federal criminal investigation of alleged violations of endangered species laws and the federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act.
- JD, Columbia Law School, 1982
- BA, Dartmouth College, 1979
ADMISSIONS : Massachusetts, United States Supreme Court
GOVERNMENT EXPERIENCE :
- State and Local Government
- Deputy Attorney General, Massachusetts
- State and Local Government
- Chief of Public Protection Bureau, Massachusetts’s Attorney General’s Office
Rate : $$$