Stephen Pudner is a real estate and construction attorney in Baker Donelson’s Birmingham office, and is chair of the Recruiting Committee for the Birmingham office. Stephen has a dual transactional and litigation focus that uniquely prepares him to proactively help his clients avoid risks and reach creative solutions to their real estate and construction needs.
On the transactional side, Stephen represents real estate developers in the acquisition, sale, and leasing of commercial and multi-family real estate developments and represents owner-developers and contractors in negotiating and drafting complex construction contracts and navigating contractor licensing laws.
On the litigation side, Stephen has extensive experience protecting and enforcing the rights of owners, lenders, and contractors in state and federal lawsuits resulting from construction projects and real property disputes.
- University of Alabama School of Law, J.D., 2008, cum laude
- Georgetown University Law Center, Visiting Law Student, Spring 2008
- University of Fribourg, Switzerland, Summer 2006
- University of Virginia, B.A., Economics, 2003
- Alabama, 2008
- District of Columbia, 2011
- Virginia, 2015
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Middle and Southern Districts of Alabama
- Served as lead negotiator and drafter of $110 million design build contract and ancillary documents on behalf of health care REIT owner client regarding new construction of health care facility in western U.S.
- Represented a national real estate developer and managed all aspects of more than 50 acquisitions annually throughout the United States for development as commercial retail stores, including handling all due diligence, negotiating and drafting documents, resolving title and survey issues, and negotiating tax and infrastructure incentives
- Represented owner-developer and contractor clients in complex construction litigation and negotiated and drafted dozens of multi-million dollar construction contracts on behalf of clients including NYSE-listed health care REIT and health care provider, Japanese and Irish owner-operators, regional senior living/multi-family developer and contractors.
- Successfully obtained federal court opinion early in litigation dismissing general contractor’s $19 million mechanics’ lien against client’s resort development.
- Obtained precedent-setting opinion from Alabama Court of Civil Appeals establishing when and how a purchaser of real property at a delinquent property tax sale can challenge an owner’s redemption from the tax sale.
Professional Honors & Activities:
- Confirmed by the U.S. Green Building Council as a Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design Accredited Professional (LEED AP)
- Member – 2013 Birmingham Multiple Sclerosis Leadership Class Advisory Council
Rate : $$$