Stephen E. Kabakoff has more than 17 years of experience practicing all areas of patent law, including litigation, licensing and portfolio management, patent preparation and prosecution, opinions, and client counseling across a variety of electrical and mechanical technologies.
Stephen primarily focuses on technology relating to electrical and computer engineering and materials science, including wireless communications, electronic bill payment and presentment systems, computer and network architecture, software design, power management, magnetic and optical storage systems, semiconductor processing, and optical devices.
Stephen litigates in federal district courts and before the International Trade Commission (ITC) and the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO).
He has experience as lead counsel, as well as significant experience with prefiling investigations, fact and expert discovery, motion practice, taking and defending depositions, examining trial witnesses, and arguing claim constructions at Markman hearings.
Stephen also maintains a robust transactional practice, including licensing and settlement negotiations and due diligence analyses for mergers and acquisitions. He is a member of the Licensing Executives Society and is a frequent presenter on licensing topics.
He has been recognized by The Legal 500 U.S. as one of the leading lawyers in patent licensing and transactional work. Stephen previously worked as a patent examiner for the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, where he examined patent applications in the areas of cryptography, information security, and e-commerce business methods.
- Suffolk University Law School J.D., cum laude, 2005
- Carnegie Mellon University M.S., Electrical and Computer Engineering, 1997
- Cornell University B.S., Materials and Science Engineering, with honors, 1995
- U.S. District Court, D. Colorado
- U.S. District Court, N.D. Georgia
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Veterans Claims
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Professional Activities :
- IP Law Section of the State Bar of Georgia
- Atlanta Bar Association, Intellectual Property Section
- American Bar Association, IP Law Section
- Licensing Executives Society
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
Rate : $$$$