Stephen Lerner is chair of the Squire Patton Boggs Restructuring & Insolvency Practice Group. He has an extensive national and cross-border restructuring practice in which he represents debtors, distressed businesses, committees of unsecured creditors, secured and unsecured creditors, equity interest holders and acquirers of troubled businesses in Chapter 11 reorganization cases, Chapter 15 cross-border cases, Chapter 9 municipal restructurings and out-of-court restructurings throughout the United States, Europe and, more recently, in the United Arab Emirates, South America and India.
Stephen has led the representation of debtors or other leading parties in the Chapter 11 restructurings of AmFin Financial, Chrysler, EaglePicher, Energy & Exploration Partners, Enron, Lehman Brothers, Midway Gold, Optima Specialty Steel, Patriot Coal, Station Casinos and Veris Gold, among many others, and he represented the Court Appointed Expert in the City of Detroit’s historic Chapter 9 case.
Stephen currently is serving as special counsel to the State of New Jersey in the out of court restructuring of Atlantic City and as lead restructuring advisor to Dana Gas PJSC, the largest independent gas company in the Middle East, in its US$700 million Islamic financing restructuring.
Stephen also led Squire Patton Boggs’ representation of the American College of Bankruptcy in filing an amicus brief with the United States Supreme Court in the significant Stern related case of Executive Benefits Insurance Agency v. Peter H. Arkison, Trustee of the Estate of Bellingham Insurance Agency, Inc.
Memberships and Affiliations:
- Fellow and Chair of the Board of Regents of the American College of Bankruptcy, formerly Regent for the 6th Circuit
- Program Chair of the American Bankruptcy Institute Midwest Regional Bankruptcy Seminar
- Member of the Board of Directors of the American Bankruptcy Institute
- Member of the New York chapter of the Turnaround Management Association
- Founder and member of the Tri-State Association for Corporate Renewal
- University of Pennsylvania, J.D., 1985
- University of Pennsylvania, M.A., magna cum laude, 1982
- University of Pennsylvania, B.A., magna cum laude, 1982
Rate : $$$