Stephen A. Mansfield is an accomplished jury lawyer who represents clients in a range of sectors, including banking, professional services, insurance, health care, pharmaceutical and dietary supplements. In highly charged enforcement actions by the DOJ and SEC, he defends companies, officers and directors, and employees.
A former federal prosecutor, Steve develops cost-effective, strategic plans of action based on his understanding of the inner workings of enforcement authorities. He is highly adept at persuading the government to decline to bring charges, as well as reaching favorable results through agreement or trial.
Steve defends clients in investigations alleging:
- Securities fraud
- Health care fraud
- Money laundering
- Technology and trade secret theft
- Tax fraud
- FCPA violations
- Antitrust violations
- Customs fraud
- Unfair and deceptive trade practice and Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) enforcement actions.
- Served as an Assistant U.S. Attorney in Los Angeles for 11 years.
- Defends companies, officers, directors and employees against Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and Department of Justice (DOJ) investigations.
- Leads internal corporate investigations and defends against civil fraud claims and enforcement actions.
- Served as head of the U.N. War Crimes Investigations Unit for Rwanda and currently provides strategic counsel to the Center for Justice and Accountability at Civitas Maxima in pending Liberian war crimes investigations.
- Serves as an instructor with Lawyers Without Borders for prosecutors and judges on rule of law and antitrafficking programs in Kenya and Tanzania.
- On behalf of clients, has won dozens of dismissals and prosecution declinations, and the return of millions of dollars in improperly seized funds.
- Defends corporations, officers, directors and employees against allegations of unfair and deceptive trade practices and has represented clients before related congressional investigations.
- During his tenure with the government, served as lead prosecutor in a complex finance fraud investigation that resulted in the conviction of a U.S. congressman, a campaign committee, a campaign treasurer and five multinational corporations.
- Advisory board member, Operation Encore, supporting veterans pursuing songwriting careers.
- Member, Northern California Committee, Human Rights Watch.
- Advisory board member, Civitas Maxima, bringing fugitive war criminals to justice.
- J.D., University of Maine School of Law, 1982
- B.A., University of Rhode Island, summa cum laude, 1977
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
Rate : $$$