Stephen G. Rinehart specializes in the prosecution, defense and management of complex commercial disputes in the federal and state courts, at both the trial court and appellate levels.
His 33 years of litigation experience encompass a wide spectrum of business relationships and disputes, including breach of contract, fraud, the federal securities laws, financial services, restrictive covenants, trade secrets, professional liability, and claims under the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act.
Steve has also represented clients before the SEC, FINRA, the AICPA, and other state and Federal regulatory bodies. Steve’s objective is to efficiently and effectively manage complex matters, and to always return your calls.
Representative Matters :
- Lead counsel for nationwide book distributor in federal jury trial involving breaches of personal guarantees, resulting in judgment of over $ 29 million in favor of our client.
- Lead counsel for owner of multimillion-dollar equipment lease portfolios in four related actions and appeals against lease portfolio servicing company alleging breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, and diversion of funds, resulting in 100% recovery for the client.
- Lead counsel in numerous successful representations of accounting firms in cases alleging professional negligence, common law fraud, securities fraud and breach of contract brought by former clients, creditors and state and federal regulatory agencies.
- Representation of corporate officers and directors in SEC civil enforcement proceeding alleging filing of false and misleading form 10-K.
- Representation of financial services company in hearings before the New York State Department of Financial Services.
- Lead counsel for the lender at trial and in two appeals to the Second Circuit involving enforcement of a guarantee and pledge agreement.
Professional and Community Involvement :
- The Children’s Law Center of New York
- Public Service Network Committee, Association of the Bar of the City of New York, 2011-present
- New York State Bar Association
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section
- New York University School of Law, J.D., 1982
- Harvard University, B.A., 1979
BAR ADMISSIONS : New York
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
Rate : $$$