Stephen G. Rooney is Co-leader of Mayer Brown’s Global Insurance Industry Group and is based in New York. He practices in the areas of securities offerings, structured finance and mergers and acquisitions.
Over the past 25 years, he has represented issuers and underwriters in connection with domestic and international offerings of equity, debt and hybrid securities, and he has extensive experience in negotiating and structuring M&A within the insurance and financial services industries.
Stephen also counsels domestic and international clients on corporate governance matters and director fiduciary duties. Stephen has served as transaction counsel in a variety of insurance-linked securities offerings and other structured financings, including numerous catastrophe bond offerings; the first securitization of life insurance regulatory reserves; the first securitization of private equity investment portfolios; and the first securitization of insurance policy loans.
He has advised on more than 100 insurance‐linked securities offerings and reinsurance side‐car formations in the last six years alone. Stephen was named a “Dealmaker of the Year” for 2014 by the American Lawyer for his role as transaction counsel in the first-of-its-kind catastrophe bond offering for New York’s Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA).
He has also been recognized as a leading insurance industry transaction lawyer in Chambers USA and Who’s Who Legal: Insurance and Reinsurance.
- Fordham University School of Law, JD
- The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, BS
- New York
- US Supreme Court
- Board of Trustees, Inner City Scholarship Fund (2005-present)
- Trustee of the Village of Pelham Manor (1995-2003); Mayor (2003-2005)
- Law Clerk, Hon. Kevin Thomas Duffy, US District Judge, SDNY, (1980-1982)
- The Hartford in its $1.5 billion acquisition of the group life and disability business of Aetna
- Scottish Re in the $1.3 billion divestiture of a portion of its US business to Hannover Re (Germany)
- Telefonica in the $900 million tender offer for the minority shareholdings of Compania de Telecomuniciones de Chile (“CTC”)
- Genworth Financial in its subsidiary’s $2 billion securitization of term life insurance regulatory reserves
- Bristol-Myers Squibb in a $1.4 billion pension de-risking transaction with The Prudential
- Scottish Re Group Ltd. in numerous public offerings of convertible debt, hybrid and equity securities
- Morgan Stanley as underwriter in the global IPO of IPC Re and follow‐on equity offering
- Oberthur Card Systems (France) in its international IPO
- Banco Nacional de Mexico, S.A. (“Banamex”), in raising more than $8 billion in numerous international capital markets transactions
Rate : $$$$