Steven D. Allison represents clients in trials, arbitrations and appeals with respect to complex business, class action, insurance coverage, healthcare, intellectual property, product liability and real estate matters, among others.
Steve has handled the defense of significant nationwide consumer class actions for clients in the telecommunications/technology, retail, consumer products and entertainment industries.
In these class actions, Steve has successfully defended claims of unfair competition, false advertising, violation of the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, violation of numerous state consumer protection statutes and product liability.
Steve also has deep experience in insurance coverage matters. He has represented insurers in matters asserting coverage for mass tort, environmental and construction defect claims seeking hundreds of millions of dollars in insurance coverage. Additionally, Steve has brought affirmative claims on behalf of insurers to determine proper allocation and contribution for long-tail exposures.
His insurance experience also includes representation of healthcare insurers, plans and administrators. Steve has defended contract, bad faith and ERISA claims against those defendants, and has successfully asserted an array of preemption-based defenses to those claims. Steve’s advocacy in this area has included multiple jury trials and the handling of successful appeals.
Steve’s practice further includes intellectual property and technology litigation relating to trademark, copyright, trade dress, trade secret and right of publicity claims, as well as licensing disputes. He has handled these claims for clients in the entertainment, new media, publishing, technology and retail/consumer products industries.
Finally, Steve has handled a wide variety of complex business disputes. In this area, he has particular experience in handling claims in the grocery industry relating to real estate development and shopping center leasing.
Representative Matters :
- Representing a mattress manufacturer in a consumer class action alleging violations of California consumer protection and warranty statutes based on alleged terms and application of express product warranties.
- Represented an air conditioner manufacturer in a statewide class action in Nevada alleging product defects in air conditioning units installed in more than 60,000 homes throughout the state.
- Represented a telecommunications/technology company in the successful defense of a consumer class action alleging violation of the TCPA. The case settled favorably on an individual basis after defeat of the plaintiff’s motion for class certification.
- Represented athlete endorsers of a consumer product in a class action alleging false advertising and violation of state consumer protection statutes based on their product endorsement.
- Defended an insurer in a lawsuit seeking coverage and bad faith damages relating to underlying construction defect/product liability resulting from the failure of a rooftop parking deck at a shopping center in Honolulu, Hawaii.
- Obtained a dismissal on federal preemption grounds of contract and bad faith claims against a Medicare Advantage health insurance plan.
- Obtained a unanimous verdict on business tort and unfair competition claims and an award of more than $6 million for a major shopping center REIT in a three-month jury trial related to a dispute over a prime shopping center site.
- Represented several major grocery chains in litigation related to a shopping center development, commercial leasing, exclusive use restrictions and nuisance claims.
- Represented a rights clearance agency and a national consumer products company in disputes over the licensing of songs performed by the Village People.
Professional and Community Involvement :
- President’s Circle, Orange County United Way (2017-present)
- Executive Committee, Orange County United Way (2012-2017)
- Board of Directors, Orange County United Way (2005-2017)
- Campaign Cabinet, Orange County United Way (2012-2014)
- Executive Committee, Sonenshine Pro Bono Reception (2016-present)
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., magna cum laude, Order of the Coif, 1994
- Messiah College, B.A., magna cum laude, 1990
BAR ADMISSIONS : California
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court for the District of Hawaii
Rate : $$$