Steven F. Cherry has almost 30 years of experience in representing companies and individuals in antitrust investigations by the US Department of Justice, investigations by state attorneys general, and civil litigation, including class actions.
He also has worked closely with local counsel in representing clients before antitrust agencies around the world. According to Chambers USA, he is widely recognized by his peers as “an exceptional lawyer” and “phenomenal practitioner” and “unquestionably the best antitrust lawyer in town,” who “commands huge respect in the antitrust area and is particularly noted for his experience in international cartel and grand jury investigations.”
Mr. Cherry is the author of numerous publications (including an upcoming book on cartel enforcement and litigation), and has spoken at bar events, private industry and other seminars, on cartel investigations and litigation, class actions and arbitration.
- Mr. Cherry has been featured in various articles for his work on some of the largest and most complex antitrust investigations and litigations in history, including Auto Parts and TFT-LCD Flat Panels.
- Lead counsel in defense of numerous class actions, including those involving antitrust and other competition-related claims. Has defeated numerous class actions, including following evidentiary hearings. Won landmark Second Circuit ruling in Parcel Tanker Shipping case, requiring arbitration of direct purchaser claims, and subsequently won landmark US Supreme Court ruling rejecting class arbitration where the contracts were silent on class arbitration.
- Defended (and in other cases prosecuted) numerous business disputes, including disputes based on monopolization, predatory pricing, tying and other antitrust claims.
- Defended natural gas company in corporate-control litigation involving claims in excess of $2 billion arising out of failed merger.
- Represented managed care organization in arbitration of $45 million contract dispute against pharmacy benefits management firm.
- Represented European distributor of healthcare products in multi-million dollar litigation against US manufacturer.
- JD, University of Michigan Law School, 1989
- MPA, Indiana University, 1986
- BS, Indiana State University, 1983
ADMISSIONS : Virginia, District of Columbia, Illinois
CLERKSHIPS : The Hon. Robert R. Beezer, US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, 1989 – 1990.
Rate : $$$