Steven H. Cohen, principal of Cohen Law Group, is of counsel to Hughes Socol Piers Resnick & Dym, Ltd. He joined the firm in 2013, at which time he founded Whistleblower Advocates, a collaboration between Cohen Law Group and HSPRD that investigates and prosecutes qui tam lawsuits on behalf of whistleblowers.
Steven is nationally recognized for his representation of whistleblowers in qui tam cases brought under the False Claims laws. He has investigated and prosecuted sealed and unsealed qui tam cases spanning the spectrum of fraud involving government program monies, including health care, government contracting, and federally insured financial institutions.
In 2001, Steve founded the Cohen Law Group, where he dedicated his practice to representing whistleblowers in qui tam cases. Prior to the Cohen Law Group, Steve was a litigator in private practice, with a focus on class actions, shareholders’ rights litigation, securities, business, and consumer fraud.
In addition to practicing law, Steve is active in local and national political campaigns. He was a member of the Obama for America National Finance Committee in the 2008 and 2012 presidential elections.
Following the 2008 election, Steve was appointed as an advisor to the Department of Justice Agency Review Transition Team for qui tam/False Claims Act issues. In 2012, President Obama appointed Steve to the Board of Trustees of the Harry S. Truman Scholarship Foundation, an independent federal agency that provides scholarships to students seeking professional careers in public service.
Steve serves on a variety of academic, non-profit and foundation boards, including the Mikva Challenge, the Center for Wrongful Convictions at Northwestern University School of Law, and Facing History and Ourselves. In addition, Steve is a partner at Impact Partner Films, which finances independent documentaries that address pressing social issues.
Steve also serves on the President’s Council of Taxpayers Against Fraud, the national public interest organization of whistleblower lawyers dedicated to combating fraud against the government and protecting public resources through public-private partnerships, and has taught clinical trial advocacy as an adjunct faculty member at the Northwestern University School of Law.
- Northwestern University School of Law (J.D. 1979)
- Beloit College (B.A. 1975)
BAR ADMISSIONS : Illinois
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the District of Nevada
MEMBERSHIPS / ASSOCIATIONS :
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Illinois State Bar Association
- Member, Chicago Bar Association
- Member, American Constitution Society
- President’s Council, Taxpayers Against Fraud
- Executive Committee, Center on Wrongful Convictions at Northwestern University School of Law
- Chicago Advisory Board, American Constitution Society
- Partner, Impact Partner Films
- Board of Directors, The Mikva Challenge Foundation
- Board of Trustees, The Harry S. Truman Scholarship Foundation
- Trustee, Beloit College
- Trustee, TCS Education System
- Chicago Advisory Board, Facing History and Ourselves
Rate : $$$