Steven D. Hamilton is a trial lawyer who focuses his practice on complex commercial and products liability litigation, with an emphasis representing clients in the healthcare and financial services industries.
As an experienced trial attorney, Steve has managed and directly handled all aspects of cases, including first and second chairing multiple trials and arbitration hearings, as well as appellate briefs and arguments.
In the area of healthcare litigation, Steve represents Medicare and Medicaid managed care organizations, healthcare providers, pharmaceutical companies, and healthcare education institutions in commercial and business disputes, including cases alleging breaches of contract, fraud, breaches of fiduciary duties, and alleged violations of EMTALA and other federal and state statutes and regulations.
In connection with his litigation experience, Steve has gained significant expertise in regulatory and compliance issues facing government-sponsored health plans, including Medicare Advantage, Medicaid, and Part D.
In his financial litigation practice, Steve represents financial institutions, including banks, brokerage firms, and qualified custodians, in connection with commercial, business, and customer disputes, including class actions, involving alleged fraud, breaches of contract, breaches of fiduciary duty, violations of U.C.C. Articles 4 and 4A, and alleged violations of federal and state statutes and regulations.
Steve has also handled numerous products liability matters in Cook County, Illinois and surrounding counties, including significant matters involving explosions and fires that were allegedly caused by defective products.
While earning his law degree from DePaul University College of Law, Steve received CALI Awards for Excellence in Trial Advocacy, Securities Fraud, and Litigation Strategy and Civil Litigation. In addition, Steve was a judicial extern to the Honorable Wayne R. Andersen in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois.
- Represented two Fortune 500 managed care organizations in a putative class action brought by emergency room physician practices relating to reimbursement for emergency services. The lawsuit was dismissed by the trial court, which was upheld by the Illinois Appellate Court. The Illinois Supreme Court denied leave to appeal.
- Represented a Fortune 500 U.S.-based generic pharmaceutical manufacturer in international arbitration against Greek pharmaceutical manufacturer. Obtained confidential award in client’s favor.
- Represented a Fortune 500 financial institution in a lawsuit alleging claims for negligence and breach of fiduciary duty relating to alleged improper wire transfers and automated clearing house payments. Obtained dismissal of lawsuit.
- Represented a large closely-held discount retailer in a lawsuit brought by one of its contracted transportation companies for alleged fraud and breach of contract, seeking over $15 million in damages. Obtained complete defense jury verdict in client’s favor and judgment on client’s counterclaim.
- DePaul University College of Law, JD, magna cum laude, Member, DePaul Law Review
- University of Wisconsin – Madison, BA, Political Science, with Honors
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- Vice Chair, Healthcare Liability and Litigation Practice Group, American Health Lawyers Association
- Member, Chicago Bar Association
- Member, American Health Lawyers Association
Rate : $$$