Steven B. Harris, managing partner of the firm’s Houston office, has represented a wide range of energy clients in international arbitration and litigation relating to onshore and offshore oil and gas exploration, production, marketing and transportation, as well as energy industry construction projects.
Steven has handled energy industry and construction disputes before arbitral tribunals around the world and in numerous jury and nonjury trials. These cases have centered on a variety of issues including mineral title disputes, oil and gas lease and operational issues; long-term supply contracts for LNG, oil and gas, energy trading and marketing; oil and gas transportation, storage and marketing; seismic and geophysical data and services; oilfield equipment and services; and energy industry insurance claims.
He also has extensive experience in disputes relating to construction and operation of coal and gas-fired electric generation facilities, as well as gas and crude oil production and transportation facilities including pipelines, storage facilities, offshore structures, gathering systems, and processing facilities.
In addition, Steven has experience with domestic, offshore and international energy transactions and has been involved in negotiation, revision and enforcement of various energy industry contracts, such as master service agreements, long-term take or pay supply agreements, transportation contracts, trading agreements, joint operating agreements, indemnity and keep-whole agreements, production calls, gas purchase and marketing agreements under NAESB, ISDA and AIPN forms, farmout agreements, AMI agreements, unit agreements, preferential rights agreements, and processing and facilities contracts. He has also represented clients in purchases and sales of energy assets, including leases, production, farmouts and assignments of interests.
He is board-certified in civil trial law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization and is a member of the Litigation, Oil, Gas & Energy Law, and Appellate Practice Sections of the State Bar of Texas, the Association of International Petroleum Negotiators, American Association of Petroleum Landmen, the Bar Association of the Fifth Federal Circuit, the Pro Bono College of the State Bar of Texas, The College of the State Bar of Texas and the Texas Association of Civil Trial and Appellate Specialists.
- Southern Methodist University, J.D., 1980
- Trinity University, B.A., cum laude, 1977
Admissions : Texas, 1980
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Dist. Ct., Dist. of Colorado
- U.S. Dist. Ct., E. Dist. of Texas
- U.S. Dist. Ct., N. Dist. of Texas
- U.S. Dist. Ct., S. Dist. of Texas
Memberships and Affiliations :
- Member, Association of International Petroleum Negotiators
- Member, American Association of Petroleum Landmen
- Member, Bar Association of the Fifth Federal Circuit
- Member, The College of the State Bar of Texas
- Member, Texas Association of Civil Trial and Appellate Specialists
- Representing landowners and exploration & production (E&P) companies in disputes relating to royalties, operations, title issues and lease obligations.
- Representing gas marketers in Europe and Asia in multiple price reopener arbitrations (UNCITRAL and ICC) relating to long-term “take or pay” LNG supply contracts.
- Representing the engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) contractor in domestic arbitration (AAA) of consolidated disputes relating to construction of a 790 MW power plant.
- Representing an oilfield services company in a dispute with parties claiming equity ownership positions and damages exceeding US$100 million.
- Representing the host nation in international arbitration (ICSID) relating to enforcement and termination of oil and gas exploration and production concessions.
- Representing the owner of an industrial facility in a dispute with the general contractor relating to defective design and construction of a major containment facility for toxic materials.
- Representing an oilfield services company in a dispute among owners and third parties claiming a right to ownership of the company.
Rate : $$$