Steven J. Hewitson focuses on the state regulation of electric utilities. With a keen understanding of his clients’ business and operational goals, Steve works tirelessly to achieve results that balance these interests in the regulatory environments in which his clients operate.
Drawing on 15 years of experience litigating environmental, construction and business disputes, Steve brings a unique and valuable perspective to the energy regulatory field. He routinely works on matters of foremost importance to his clients’ business interests, helping to strategically guide and implement those business decisions.
Steve works on a wide range of matters, from construction and cost recovery strategies for new generation facilities, including nuclear, to the analysis, valuation and procurement of renewable energy and distributed energy resources.
He also represents electric utilities in rate cases, fuel cost recovery matters and integrated resource planning proceedings. This variety of experience helps Steve efficiently and effectively assess and overcome the challenges faced by regulated utilities. Steve balances work and play by coaching youth baseball and keeping up with two very active sons.
Representative Matters :
- Served as counsel for Georgia Power in rate cases, fuel cost recovery proceedings and integrated resource planning proceedings before the Georgia Public Service Commission.
- Advised Georgia Power in matters related to the construction of new supply-side resources, including new nuclear generation.
- Defended a major utility in litigation with the EPA over alleged violations of the New Source Review requirements of the Clean Air Act.
- Served as counsel for commercial real estate developers, landowners and manufacturing facilities in litigation over property contamination and devaluation claims.
- Represented large utility companies in litigation related to the construction of coal-fired and nuclear power plants.
Professional and Community Involvement :
- State Bar of Georgia
- State Bar of Florida
- Member, Steering Committee, Atlanta Volunteer Lawyers Foundation Winetasting Event (2017)
Professional Experience : Judicial Intern to the Honorable Julie E. Carnes (formerly) of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia, Fall 1996
- Emory University School of Law, J.D., with distinction, 1997, Moot Court Order of Advocates
- Cornell University, B.S., 1994
BAR ADMISSIONS : Georgia, Florida
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- Georgia Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Georgia
Rate : $$$