Steven M. Kayman is a partner in Proskauer’s Litigation Department. He focuses on intellectual property litigation but, in his 30-plus years of practice — all with Proskauer — he also has had extensive experience litigating disputes involving securities, bankruptcies and workouts, real estate, employment, contracts and many other commercial matters.
Steve founded Proskauer’s Non-Compete and Trade Secrets group and has served as a co-head of the group for many years. He also chaired Proskauer’s firmwide Technology Committee for eight years, with oversight responsibility for all of Proskauer’s information services, technology, knowledge management and practice support operations.
Steve has particular experience and command in matters involving the movement of employees between competitors, the appropriation of trade secrets, employee raiding and liftouts, and agreements containing non-competes and other restrictive covenants.
Clients have called on him when their employees have jumped ship to a competitor, when hiring a competitor’s employees, and to craft agreements, policies and procedures aimed at protecting the client’s confidential information, other intellectual property, and relationships with its customer base and workforce.
Steve has litigated for and counseled clients in thousands of disputed matters in these areas, including major banks and insurance companies, other financial institutions, leading consulting firms, and media and entertainment companies.
He also has written and lectured extensively about trade secrets and non-competes and was recently appointed as an Adjunct Professor of Law at Brooklyn Law School, where he will be teaching a workshop on trade secrets.
Steve has practiced before federal and state courts in New York and other jurisdictions, doing both trial and appellate work. He also has extensive experience with alternative dispute resolution, including practice before the AAA, JAMS, the SEC, the ITC, the NYSE, the NASD, mediators and “rent-a-judges.”
- University of Virginia Law School, J.D., 1981
- Trinity College, B.A., 1977
Admissions & Qualifications : New York
Court Admissions :
- Pro hac vice admissions throughout the United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court, New York, Eastern District
- U.S. District Court, New York, Southern District
- Leadership Council, Covergency Center for Policy Resolution, 2015-Present
- Chair, New York City Bar, Council on Judicial Administration, , 2013-Present; Member, 2008-2013
- Advisory Board, Brooklyn Law School Trade Secret Resource Center, 2010-Present
- Chair, New York City Bar Task Force on Residential Mortgage Foreclosures, 2011-2013
- New York City Bar, Federal Courts Committee, 2006-2008
- New York City Bar, State Courts of Superior Jurisdiction Committee, 1989-1992
Rate : $$$