As lead counsel for over forty jury and bench trials, Steven E. Knott focuses his practice on insurance recovery, commercial disputes and construction litigation.
With 28 years of experience, Steven has advised clients in a diverse array of disputes including fraud, breach of contract, construction claims, unfair competition, class action and third party and first party insurance recovery, groundwater contamination, computer network disputes, insurance program advice, petroleum franchise disputes and asbestos bodily injury defense.
REPRESENTATIVE EXPERIENCE :
- Lead counsel on $280 million construction dispute representing public agency against contractor joint venture involving value engineering claims, change order disputes, force majeure issues, right of way timing and liquidated damages related claims, and changes in conditions. Resolved without submission to DRB.
- Lead counsel for owner in construction dispute and related first party and third party insurance claims for $152 million in alleged construction defects and resulting damage for multi-story building, related transit property, and related retail spaces.
- Lead counsel in construction dispute over $75 million in claims for site access disputes representing public transportation agency due to construction timing windows and related railroad right of way disclosures.
- Lead counsel for national energy company in construction contract dispute with contractor and third party claims against designer (shoring) for gas-fired power plant.
- Lead counsel on environmental property damage and bodily injury lawsuits for three national manufacturers for national and international liabilities; recovered over $1 billion from liability insurers.
- Represented Texaco in Petroleum Marketing Practices Act trial win and successful defense of the win after argument before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, and thereafter defeated certiorari to the United States Supreme Court.
- J.D., University of California, Davis, King Hall School of Law
- B.A., University of California, Berkeley
ADMISSIONS : California
- All United States District Courts, California
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
Rate : $$$$