Nationally known for successfully representing clients in personal injury matters, Stephen M. Levin is an outstanding attorney, successful entrepreneur and, most importantly, a committed family man. Steve’s family values carry over into everything he does, from representing people seeking better care for their elderly loved ones to building a law firm that has become one of the best in the nation at winning substantial verdicts and settlements for people affected by medical malpractice, nursing home neglect, or other personal injury cases.
He has instilled a family-like culture at Levin & Perconti since the firm’s inception in 1992. The firm began with Steve, John Perconti and Steve’s sister and partner Susan Novosad. Steve and Susan have worked together for over 30 years. Steve has helped grow the law firm of three to more than 20 attorneys handling hundreds of serious injury and death cases. Through the practice of law Steve has touched and influenced the lives of thousands of colleagues and clients since beginning his legal career in 1976.
Steve is known nationally as one of the best trial attorneys. His peers and adversaries will tell you that his cross-examination skills rival those of the best litigators in the country. He is widely sought after to share his techniques and strategies in speaking roles at seminars all over the United States.
Steve is a pioneer in the area of nursing home abuse and neglect and is one of the first attorneys in the country to prosecute these types of cases on behalf of the elderly and their families. He is a founding member and one of the original officers of the American Association for Justice Nursing Home Litigation Group. This is a national group of attorneys dedicated to prosecuting nursing home corporations that allow residents to be abused and neglected. Steve’s firm has obtained the top three jury verdicts in nursing home negligence cases in the state of Illinois.
Steve has been a zealous advocate for the rights of nursing home residents. Not only will Steve make sure that nursing homes are held accountable for wrongdoing toward residents, he works with numerous advocacy groups in an effort to effect change and prevent neglect and abuse from occurring. As Steve likes to put it, his goal is to “Stop Poor Care.” He has contributed to lobbying efforts in Springfield to strengthen legislation that governs the operation of nursing homes.
He has helped write stricter laws that have been enacted as part of the Illinois Nursing Home Care Act. He is in regular contact with Federal and State ombudsman regarding issues they are dealing with from a regulatory perspective. Steve is a member of the National Consumer Voice for Quality Long-Term Care’s Leadership Council. This organization is dedicated to protecting the rights of nursing home residents.
Steve’s firm has recovered over $750 million on behalf of their clients including the following notable results:
- $17.7 million settlement on behalf of an injured police officer who sustained a serious brain injury due to nursing staff negligence in a Chicago hospital
- $9 million dollar birth injury settlement
- $7.5 million dollar record Jones Act settlement for injured worker on the Mississippi River
- $7 million verdict in a medical negligence suit against a doctor who failed to diagnose our client’s postpartum bleeding, resulting in her death
- $6.7 million jury verdict against a hospital in a birth injury lawsuit
- $5.7 million workplace injury settlement for a 27-year-old roofer who was injured on the job
- The Top 3 Illinois Jury Veridicts in Illinois Nursing Home cases
- $4.1 million dollar jury verdict for nursing home negligence in medication error case
- $2.9 million nursing home neglect jury verdict in a choking case.
- $2.77 million nursing home neglect jury verdict in a fall case
- J.D., Loyola University Chicago School of Law, 1976
- cum laude
- Loyola University School of Law Review, Lead Article Editor
- Awarded for highest grade point average
- B.A., University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1973
Professional & Bar Association Memberships:
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association
- American Association for Justice (“AAJ”)
- Illinois State Bar Association
- American Constitution Society Chicago Lawyer
- The National Consumer Voice for Quality Long-Term Care’s Leadership Council
- The Society of Trial Lawyers, President
- National Citizens Coalition for Nursing Home Reform and its “Committee of 20”
- Attorney General of Illinois’ Task Force on Nursing Homes
- American Trial Lawyers Association Nursing Home Litigation Group (co-chair)
- The American Bar Association Tort and Insurance Practice Section (Vice Chair, Medicine & Law Committee)
- Highland Park Zoning Board of Appeals (Member and Chairman for 13 years)
Rate : $$$