Steven Pelak focuses his practice on civil and criminal enforcement proceedings and internal investigations. With more than 30 years of experience, he provides clients with sound counsel and advocacy on administrative and criminal inquiries, investigations, and prosecutions, as well as internal corporate compliance matters.
Steve has significant experience as a federal prosecutor and in private practice handling and supervising the investigation and prosecution of export control, sanctions, fraud, bribery, public corruption, immigration, labor union corruption, terrorism, and other white collar and violent crimes. He counsels and represents individuals and corporate clients in federal and state administrative and criminal inquiries, investigations, and enforcement actions.
Steve assists clients with internal corporate compliance and due diligence efforts with regard to export control and embargo statutes and regulations, including the Arms Export Control Act/International Traffic in Arms Regulations; the Export Administration Regulations; the U.S. Treasury Department’s sanctions programs; the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act; the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS); the Foreign Agents Registration Act; and other federal regulatory schemes.
In May 2018, the Assistant Secretary of Political-Military Affairs, U.S. Department of State, appointed Steve to serve as a member of the Defense Trade Advisory Group (DTAG) during the 2018-2020 term.
DTAG advises the Department of State on its support for and regulation of defense trade to help ensure that the foreign policy and national security interests of the United States continue to be protected and advanced, while helping to reduce impediments to legitimate exports.
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D., 1985
- Kalamazoo College
Bar Admissions : District of Columbia
Court Admissions :
- Superior Court of the District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals – District of Columbia
- United States District Court, District of Columbia
- District of Columbia Court of Appeals, Washington, D.C.
Memberships and Affiliations : Defense Trade Advisory Group (DTAG) of the U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Political-Military Affairs, Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (2018-2020)
Professional and Civic Affiliations:
- Thurgood Marshall American Inn of Court, Member (former)
- Former Member, U.S. Government Senior Executive Service (2009-2013); Supervisor, Senior Litigation Counsel, and Anti-Terrorism Advisory Council Coordinator within the U.S. Attorney’s Office
- Highlands Swim & Tennis Club, Board of Directors President (former)
Rate : $$$$