Steven R. Smith is a shareholder in Baker Donelson’s Washington, D.C. office. Mr. Smith provides counsel on regulatory, operational and transactional aspects of health care law for hospitals and other clients in the health care industry.
With Mr. Smith’s counsel, clients are able to prepare for and comply with the latest laws and regulations governing their specific operations. Mr. Smith has a deep understanding of the myriad legal guidelines that apply to hospitals, rehabilitation centers, long-term care nursing facilities and outpatient clients. With his representation, clients’ transactions are structured to meet all applicable federal, state and local laws.
Mr. Smith’s experience encompasses the Stark and Anti-kickback laws; patient safety and quality assurance issues as they relate to both reimbursement and improvement of patient care; medical staff issues including disciplinary and peer review-related matters; corporate governance best practices; and risk and claims management, insurance coverage and fiduciary responsibilities.
Prior to entering private practice, Mr. Smith spent ten years as senior vice president and general counsel for a large health care system in Maryland where he had both operational and legal responsibilities. Active in national professional organizations and health-related nonprofits, he previously served on the Sickle Cell Disease Association of America’s board of directors.
Mr. Smith is a sought-after speaker and is the author of several articles published in health and medical journals. He also serves on the board of LGI Homes, Inc., a public company headquartered in Houston, Texas.
- University of Maryland School of Law, J.D., 1980, with honors
- University of Maryland, B.A., 1977, with honors
- District of Columbia
- Court of Appeals of Maryland
- Court of Appeals of the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
Professional Honors & Activities:
- Member – American Bar Association
- Member – American College of Healthcare Executives
- Member – American Health Lawyers Association
- Member – Maryland Society for Healthcare Risk Management
- Member – Prince George’s County Bar Association
- Past Member, Board of Directors – CASA/Prince George’s County
- Board of Directors – Louisa Downtown Development Corporation
- Past Member, Board of Directors – Sickle Cell Disease Association of America
Rate : $$$$