A creative and innovative land use attorney, Steve J. Wernick guides developers, property owners, and operators through complex land use regulations, state and local government law, and the development approval process. His work includes pre-acquisition due diligence, entitlement strategy, platting, and handling a wide array of zoning and development approvals.
Steve works closely with clients to navigate the intricacies of government affairs, including advocating for client interests in administrative and quasi-judicial hearings, securing entitlements and zoning interpretations and procurement of government contracts and public/private incentive agreements for urban redevelopment projects.
Steve also has significant experience drafting master plans and land use development regulations, including the City of Miami’s first Neighborhood Revitalization District for Wynwood.
With his background in urban planning and involvement in public policy at a local and state level, Steve has developed a reputation as a go-to resource for land use legislation, master planned projects, and special district initiatives to develop incentive-based zoning solutions to support urban revitalization strategies in emerging neighborhoods embraced by stakeholders, development industry, and local government agencies.
- J.D., University of Florida Levin College of Law, 2007, Order of the Coif, Florida Law Review, Editorial Board
- M.R.P., University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Masters of Regional Planning (Real Estate Development), 2004
- B.A., Boston University, 2002, magna cum laude
Bar Admissions : Florida
Court Admissions :
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
Professional Experience :
- Broward County, Florida, Attorney’s Office, Legal Intern, 2005
- Charleston Renaissance Corporation, Project Manager, 2003-2004
- American Planning Association, Florida Chapter, Member
- The Florida Bar, Environmental and Land Use Law Section, Member
- Urban Land Institute, SE Florida/Caribbean Council, Co-Chair of Young Leaders Miami, 2013-2014; District Council Advisory Board, Member, 2017-Present
- Greater Miami Chamber of Commerce, New World Center Committee and DDA Master Plan Taskforce, Member 2008-2012
Rate : $$$