Stuart Goldberg is a member of Eastman & Smith, concentrating his practice in the areas of product liability, fire, personal injury, commercial litigation, fraud investigations, insurance coverage, health care litigation and employment litigation.
Mr. Goldberg has represented large and small manufacturers, retailers, contractors, nursing homes, physicians, trucking and other transportation companies, school districts, auto service centers, individuals, employers and employees, and insurance companies, in a wide variety of disputes.
Participating in the education of others, Mr. Goldberg has spoken at seminars on trial tactics, risk management, settlement negotiations, alternative dispute resolution, product liability and personal injury law.
Mr. Goldberg is happily married and the father of three grown and wonderful children. Aside from work, family, friends and volunteering, Mr. Goldberg enjoys exercise, reading, playing guitar and singing for himself or anyone in earshot.
- Boston University School of Law, J.D., 1985
- Amherst College, B.A. cum laude, 1982
- Ohio, 1985
- U.S. District Courts:
- Northern District of Ohio, 1985
- Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- Judgment on the pleadings (before any depositions were taken) for scrap metal recycler on claim that it caused a nuisance leading to injuries and months-later death of motorcyclist who crashed with a truck that was entering the recycler’s facility.
- Summary judgment for trucking company sued by plaintiff in disputed liability motorcycle crash, based on expiration of contract relationship, six to ten months before the crash.
- Summary judgment for manufacturer of mixing machine in wrongful death claim that the mixer lacked a safety interlock, based in part on substantial modification, and won affirmance on appeal in United States Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Summary judgment and appellate victories for public school district board of education sued for provision of school transportation to private school.
- Summary judgment for quarry company in federal court based on a claim of employer intentional tort.
- Verdict for business owner for compensatory damages, followed by recovery for bad faith damages against insurance company that refused to pay clients’ fire loss damages.
- Summary judgment on liability and recoverability of punitive damages against bar that over-served driver who caused injuries to plaintiffs.
Mr. Goldberg is litigation counsel in Ohio for a building products manufacturer, a security company, an HVAC system manufacturer, a car rental service, a truck rental company and a propane gas supplier.
Mr. Goldberg is a past president of the Toledo Bar Association (2011-2012). He is a member of the Ohio State Bar Association and the Defense Research Institute where he serves on the Product Liability Committee and the Fire Science Litigation Steering Committee. He is a fellow of both the Toledo Bar Association Foundation and Ohio State Bar Association Foundation.
Long active in the Toledo community, Mr. Goldberg holds or has held board positions in organizations such as Leadership Toledo, Congregation B’nai Israel, the Toledo Board of Jewish Education, Neighborhoods in Partnership, the United Jewish Council, Jewish Family Service, the Anne Grady Foundation, the Dental Center of Northwest Ohio and the Sylvania Schools Academic Excellence Foundation. He is an active fundraiser for the American Heart Association and for the local Access to Justice Campaign.
Rate : $$$