Sumaya Ullah Restagno leverages seven years of client-side human resources experience in employee benefits to partner with HR professionals, in-house legal counsel and other executives to effectively manage complex regulatory and fiduciary issues arising under ERISA with respect to their employee benefit plans, including in transactional contexts.
Sumaya is an associate in the Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation Group. Her practice focuses on the design, implementation and on-going administration of qualified and nonqualified retirement plans and nonqualified deferred compensation arrangements.
Prior to joining Troutman Sanders, Sumaya worked as an HR professional in the financial services sector, gaining experience in all aspects of employee benefits matters. Most recently, she led global employee benefits administration at Institutional Shareholder Services Inc.
Sumaya earned her undergraduate degree from Georgetown University’s School of Foreign Service and her J.D. from St. John’s University School of Law. While in law school, she served as Managing Editor of The American Bankruptcy Institute Law Review and participated in the Securities Arbitration Clinic.
Representative Matters :
- Advise clients on all aspects of managing qualified retirement plans (such as 401(k) plans, profit sharing plans, and defined benefit plans) and nonqualified deferred compensation arrangements, including plan design, on-going administration, compliance, governmental submissions, amendments, plan documents, benefit claims, participant communications, and plan mergers, spin-offs, and termination.
- Develop plan governance and fiduciary compliance strategies for clients, including establishing plan committees and investment subcommittees, preparing board and committee resolutions, drafting and negotiating service provider agreements, and preparing investment policy statements and committee charters.
Additionally, Sumaya regularly reviews published guidance from the Internal Revenue Service, the Treasury Department and the Department of Labor, among other agencies, and advises clients on issues impacting their benefit plans.
Professional and Community Involvement :
- New York Coalition of Women’s Initiatives in Law
- American Bar Association
Professional Experience :
- Employee Benefits, Institutional Shareholder Services Inc., 2014-2017
- Employee Benefits, MSCI Inc., 2010-2014
- Legal & Compliance Analyst, MSCI Inc., 2009-2010
- St. John’s University School of Law, J.D., 2018, Managing Editor, American Bankruptcy Institute Law Review; Student Attorney, Securities Arbitration Clinic
- Georgetown University Walsh School of Foreign Service, B.S., 2008
BAR ADMISSIONS : New York
Rate : $$$$