Susan Kay Leader brings intense focus and well-honed trial skills to bear in sophisticated, highly consequential litigation and arbitration. Her clients cover a wide range of sectors, including telecommunications, media, entertainment, energy, retail, hospitality and aerospace.
Susan has litigated and tried bet-the-company cases in federal and state courts and has deep experience in major arbitration, handling matters from prefiling through trial and posttrial and motion. She is a sought-after instructor in trial advocacy, frequently lecturing in southern California and overseas.
- Clients include global players in the media, telecommunications, hospitality and energy sectors.
- First chaired more than a dozen trials, arbitrations and international arbitrations in complex, high-stakes commercial matters.
- Instructor in trial advocacy skills in California and abroad.
- Representing a Chinese company engaged in film financing, distribution and production in various disputes related to film production. These include an engagement relating to a joint production agreement for a Chinese film. Achieved a favorable result and an award of significant damages to the client.
- Representing a lifestyle and entertainment brand in a litigation against a cryptocurrency technology company alleging fraud, breach of contract and unauthorized use of intellectual property.
- Serving as litigation panel counsel for a large oil refinery company in a variety of disputes, including those related to the Petroleum Franchise Act and breach-of-contract litigation.
- Representing a premier hotel owner and developer in litigation against unions alleging RICO, Sherman Act and Labor Management Relations Act violations based on a pattern of sham litigation, extortion, threats and intimidation.
- Counseling a leading telecommunications company in various employment-related matters, including an employment class action suit alleging independent contractor misclassification.
- Advising a large film distribution company in connection with various litigation matters ranging from alleged discrimination, fraud and breach-of-contract matters to disputes related to the rights of film projects.
- Instructor, one-week pilot program in trial advocacy, Public Defender’s Office, Lagos Nigeria.
- Current Treasurer, Association of Business Trial Lawyers.
- Member, Complex Court Committee, Los Angeles County Bar Association.
- Member, Board of Directors, Western Center on Law & Poverty.
- J.D., University of Virginia School of Law, 2001
- B.A., Vanderbilt University, magna cum laude, 1997
Rate : $$$