Susan L. Novosad, Partner, is well known in the Chicago legal community for the compassion she brings to her work as a tireless advocate for victims of personal injury and wrongful death matters, including medical malpractice and nursing home abuse and neglect. Susan also has a reputation for unmatched negotiating skills and her ability to help opposing parties resolve disputes in ways that deliver justice for her clients.
For Susan, the practice of law has always been a family affair. After an earlier career as an elementary school teacher for gifted students, Susan accepted her brother Steve Levin’s invitation to come work with him and learn about the practice of law. Soon after, Susan began attending John Marshall Law School at night. While pregnant with her first child in 1986, she passed the bar and was sworn in on the day the Bears won the Superbowl. Her three children are now grown, and she has been married to her husband Steve Novosad for 35 years.
Susan’s commitment to her clients is evident in the relationships that last well beyond the scope of her cases—sometimes for decades. Her first medical malpractice trial involved a brachial plexus birth injury to an infant, which caused nerve damage in her spinal cord, neck and arm. The trial concluded when the girl was just three years old, but Susan recently received the young woman’s college graduation announcement. The family has stayed in touch with Susan all these years, and believe that the successful outcome of the trial improved the quality of their daughter’s life.
A fundamental aspect of Susan’s practice is her accessibility to her clients. She believes that her clients are entitled to fair compensation for the harm they have suffered, and has met with Illinois legislators to oppose laws placing limits on recoveries of medical malpractice victims.
Some of Susan’s most notable achievements include:
- A $6.7 million birth injury verdict in a medical malpractice lawsuit
- A $4.1 million jury verdict on behalf of an 85-year-old woman injured in a nursing home when her medications were mismanaged.
- A $3.5 million settlement in a birth injury lawsuit
- A $1.5 million settlement on behalf of an elderly resident of a long-term care facility who suffered burns after being placed in a scalding bath
- A $1.49 million medical malpractice settlement
- A $1 million settlement (the largest nursing home negligence settlement in Lake County, IL, history) for the family of a deceased former nursing home resident who died after suffering injuries in a fall at a nursing home.
- A $2.4 million verdict in a personal injury lawsuit against the City of Chicago. Follow the link to read coverage of this accident verdict.
- J.D. Cum Laude, The John Marshall Law School, 1986
- B.A., University of Illinois, 1978
Professional & Bar Association Memberships:
- Women’s Bar Association of Illinois
- American Association for Justice
- Nursing Home Litigation Group
- Illinois Trial Lawyers Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
Rate : $$$$