Susanne M. Calabrese is an experienced litigator and trial attorney who handles complex commercial litigation matters in both state and federal court, as well as in arbitrations and appeals.
She helps her clients with issues surrounding contracts, business ownership disputes, lease agreements, employment agreements, testamentary documents (wills/trusts), banking transactions, life insurance policies, real estate transactions and issues particular to foreign defendants.
Representative Matters :
- General Business Litigation
- Secured dismissal of multimillion-dollar trade secrets litigation for Uruguayan bankers.
- Obtained summary judgment for national temporary staffing company, defeating six-figure claims and potential class action for alleged wage and hour violations under the Fair Labor Standards Act.
- Represented medical treatment center in government fraud investigation.
- Represented beneficiaries in dispute over distributions under a will and trust.
- Assisted various employers in enforcing terms of noncompete and nonsolicitation agreements against former employees.
- Partner Disputes/Business Divorces
- Represented executives and business owners in company ownership disputes.
- Prevented appointment of a company receiver in two matters on behalf of clients in ownership disputes after emergency evidentiary hearings.
- Appellate Practice
- Argued as lead counsel at oral argument before The Florida Third District Court of Appeal and prevailed in a case regarding issues of personal jurisdiction and waiver.
- Won appeal to the Florida Fourth District Court of Appeal regarding a dispute over payments from a life insurance benefit.
- Drafted appellate briefs for dairy retail chain regarding successor liability claim for insurance premiums.
Susanne is a member of the Executive Committee of the Women’s Chamber of Commerce of Miami-Dade County, serving in the office of Secretary. In that role, she sponsors various educational and networking events for professional women. She also serves as a member of the Miami Pro Bono Roundtable.
Susanne is a former legal clerk for the U.S. Department of Justice in both the U.S. Attorney’s Office in the Civil Division and the Child Exploitation and Obscenity Section. She was also a legal unit intern for the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission in San Diego, CA. Susanne served as a legislative intern for U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer’s Office in Washington, DC.
- George Washington University Law School (J.D., with honors, 2007)
- College of the Holy Cross (B.A., cum laude, 2002)
- Women’s Chamber of Commerce of Miami-Dade County
- Florida Bar Association
- Miami-Dade County Bar Association
- Craig S. Barnard American Inn of Court
- Chamber of Commerce of the Palm Beaches
BOARD OF DIRECTORS : Women’s Chamber of Commerce of Miami-Dade County, Executive Committee
COURT ADMISSIONS :
- U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida
BAR ADMISSIONS : Florida, District of Columbia, New York.
Rate : $$$$