Ms. Susanne Peticolas primarily represents clients in Superfund and Spill Act litigation, as well as in companion personal injury and property damage matters. Currently, she represents a number of companies in the massive Lower Passaic River Study, one of the largest contaminated sediment sites in the country.
In addition to litigating, she counsels clients on general regulatory compliance questions, including issues relating to Resource Conservation and Recovery Act of 1976 (RCRA), Industrial Site Recovery Act (ISRA), Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), and the New Jersey Site Remediation Reform Act. Matters she has handled include:
- Representation of companies in the multi-party regulatory investigation of the Passaic River pursuant to an Administrative Order on Consent
- Counsel to a paint company on a challenge to a National Priorities Listing on grounds of improper aggregation of sites
- Counsel to Potentially Responsible Parties in federal court CERCLA litigation
- Counsel to a detinning company in private party CERCLA/RCRA litigation
Ms. Peticolas represents a number of clients in the massive Lower Passaic River Study. These parties have consented to perform the remedial investigation and feasibility study for the 17.2 miles of the lower Passaic from the Dundee Dam to the Newark Bay, a major waterway in the Newark Bay Complex in New Jersey.
This matter is an administrative proceeding under the supervision of the United States Environmental Protection Agency, Region 2, and concerns a complex contaminated sediment river and ecosystem. It is of major significance both to the US EPA and the state of New Jersey.
She is also representing a number of clients as third party defendants in the litigation filed by the state of New Jersey, in state court, for past costs incurred in connection with the Newark Bay Complex. Serving on the defense group executive committee, Ms. Peticolas was instrumental in effectuating the $32 million third party settlement with the state of New Jersey.
- Rutgers School of Law – Newark (J.D., high honors)
- Rutgers Law Review, Member 1978-1979 and Managing Editor 1979-1980
- Barnard College (B.A., cum laude)
- State of New Jersey
- District of Columbia
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- Justice Stewart G. Pollock Environmental American Inn of Court
- Master of the Inn, 2005-2006, 2010-2011
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Co-Chair, Superfund Committee of Environmental Section
- New Jersey Governor’s Trade Mission
- Delegate to the Far East, May 2000
- American Bar Association
- American Immigration Lawyers Association
Rate : $$$$