A former prosecutor, Susrut A. Carpenter has tried several complex jury trials and has led numerous investigations while in the government and as a defense attorney. Recognized as a New York Metro “Rising Star” in the areas of white collar and business defense and commercial litigation, Sonny regularly represents individuals and businesses in highly-sensitive federal, state and internal corporate investigations, securities enforcement litigation, and highly-confidential crisis situations involving actual or potential government inquiries.
While in the government, Sonny worked closely with the Department of Justice, Department of Homeland Security and Department of Defense. Sonny uses that experience to support clients by advising and defending them in complex civil, regulatory and criminal law enforcement investigations and litigation, including Anti-Corruption, ITAR and OFAC compliance, Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) enforcement actions, and financial and healthcare fraud investigations.
Sonny has spoken at anti-corruption, banking and counter terrorist financing seminars, and has published articles on avoiding FCPA violations, compliance best practices, and conducting investigations.
- Represented a publicly traded multinational corporation in an FCPA investigation related to Europe, Southeast Asia and the Middle East. Conducted interviews, reviewed financials and advised on compliance programs, policies and the corporation’s strategy going forward.
- Advised client on compliance with U.S. export and import control laws and regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and OFAC sanctions.
- Represented a high-level executive at a large corporation in a public contracting fraud and corruption investigation initiated by the government.
- Represented a senior government official in a public corruption investigation spearheaded by the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York and local New York City agencies. Secured full acquittal at trial.
- Served as a member of the BakerHostetler legal team representing Irving H. Picard, Securities Investor Protection Act trustee for the liquidation of Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities LLC.
- Worked on a team prosecuting a group of individuals for identity theft and defrauding federal credit unions. Interviewed witnesses and aided in assembly of a case plan on how to proceed at trial. Resulted in a federal felony conviction.
- Successfully overturned a client’s conviction by arguing at a circuit-level court that the charge failed to provide adequate notice that the conduct was subject to criminal sanction.
- South Asian Bar Association of New York
- Intelligence and National Security Alliance — Financial Threats Council
- Financial Intelligence and Information Sharing Working Group
- J.D., American University Washington College of Law, 2008; Managing Editor, Business Law Review
- M.A., American University, 2008, International Affairs-Transnational Crime, Corruption & Terrorism
- B.A., Boston University, 2005, Economics, cum laude, Dean’s Scholar
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- District of Columbia
Rate : $$$$