Suzanne St. Pierre, chair of Venable’s New York Real Estate Group, represents U.S. and multinational institutional investors, developers, nonprofits, and other organizations in complex commercial real estate transactions.
Suzanne assists with structuring real estate investment trusts (REITs), forming business entities, and negotiating transactions involving a wide variety of commercial real estate development projects.
Suzanne has extensive experience in advising clients on office, residential, retail, industrial, hotels, community facility, railroad, and cultural and mixed-use projects. Suzanne’s practice includes :
- Negotiating complex acquisitions and dispositions, construction, and design agreements
- Forming partnerships, limited liability companies, REITs, joint ventures, and other co-investment vehicles
- Structuring lending, leasing, and condominium deals, including conventional and securitized financing and sale leasebacks
Suzanne routinely counsels major nonprofit organizations and charitable foundations on leases and other real estate initiatives. She uses alternative dispute resolution strategies to help resolve conflicts between contractors and subcontractors.
- Represented Canadian investors in negotiating a co-investment agreement – and the formation of REITs and other investment vehicles – in the acquisition of numerous debt and equity investments in U.S. real property
- Represented a German insurance company in creating a joint venture by which it acquired a 50% interest in one of Boston’s largest class A office buildings, valued at $450 million. The transaction also involved creating a tax-efficient ownership structure
- Represented an Italian investor in the acquisition of the largest ownership stake in the Flatiron Building in New York City, which is held through a number of partnerships with principals of real estate operator Newmark Knight Frank
- Represented the purchasers of a 100-plus acre state-owned facility in upstate New York, in creating a joint venture for the redevelopment of the property. Other aspects of the transaction included acquiring the property and negotiating an environmental remediation agreement, backed by environmental insurance.
- Representing New York City Economic Development Corporation in the sale and redevelopment of the first phase of the 60-acre Willets Point district in Queens, New York
- Represented a Swedish insurance company in the sale of a portfolio of owned and master-leased class A office buildings in New York City and Chicago
- Represented an Italian investor in the acquisition, renovation, and financing of historic commercial and residential properties in New York City and Los Angeles
- Represented a German company in the acquisition and leasing of property in Georgia for a wood pellet production facility and related port facilities. The transaction also included advising the client on the contracts for construction of these facilities and related rail transportation agreements
- Represented a major Japanese life insurance company in the formation of a real estate investment fund with a major privately owned U.S. real estate development company. The initial assets of the fund were valued at $750 million
- Represented a German financial institution in the acquisition of major ownership interests in U.S. real estate funds sponsored by the Hines Organization and Harbert Management Corporation
- Negotiated construction and design agreements for the Bronx Library Center on behalf of The New York Public Library (NYPL), and advised the center on excavation and related cooperation agreements with neighboring property owners
- Represented Amtrak in negotiations with developers, Related and Vornado, to renovate Penn Station and relocate Amtrak facilities to the Farley Post Office building. Representation included advising on complex title matters, construction and operational logistics associated with the proposed demolition of Madison Square Garden, and development of a mixed-use high-rise development in its place.
- J.D. UCLA School of Law 1990
- B.A. cum laude Duke University 1987
Bar Admissions : New York
Professional Memberships :
- President, New York Women Executives in Real Estate, elected September 2016
- Member, board of directors, New York Women Executives in Real Estate, 2010 – present
- Member, New York City Loft Board, 2003 – 2007
Rate : $$$$