Sye T. Hickey is an associate in the Firm’s Nashville office. Mr. Hickey concentrates his practice in complex commercial litigation and frequently works with individual and corporate clients in disputes across multiple areas, including contract litigation, business tort litigation, financial services litigation, product liability disputes, insurance matters, and government and internal investigations.
Prior to joining Baker Donelson, Mr. Hickey worked as an associate attorney in the litigation department of a large regional firm in Charlotte, North Carolina. While in law school at the University of Tennessee, Mr. Hickey previously served as a prosecutorial extern with the United States Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Tennessee.
As a third year law student, Mr. Hickey successfully argued the first application of the U.S.S.G. § 2D1.1(b)(12) enhancement in the Eastern District and prevailed on a mandatory minimum sentencing argument to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit. Before attending law school, Mr. Hickey served as an intern in the Office of United States Senator Jim Bunning (R-KY) in Washington, D.C.
- University of Tennessee College of Law, J.D., 2013
- University of Kentucky, B.S. in Business and Economics, 2009
- North Carolina, 2013
- Tennessee, 2014
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Tennessee
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Tennessee
Representative Matters :
- Successfully briefed and argued a pro bono juvenile case before the North Carolina Supreme Court.
- Successfully represented a commercial bank client in a dispute involving claims for breach of contract, fraud, unjust enrichment, equitable subrogation, and unfair and deceptive trade practices.
- Successfully represented a commercial landlord in multiple lease disputes involving summary ejectment actions and claims for breach of contract and guarantor liability.
- Successfully obtained dismissal on behalf of financial lender client involving claims for negligence and wrongful foreclosure, and a request for punitive damages.
- Successfully obtained dismissal on behalf of multinational hospitality company in claim for breach of contract.
- Successfully represented government contractor client in keeping sensitive, financial and trade secret information from being disclosed in Freedom of Information Act request.
Professional Honors & Activities:
- Member – Tennessee Bar Association
- Member – Nashville Bar Association
- Member – University of Tennessee College of Law Alumni Council
- Nashville Young Leaders Council, Class 68
- Member – Asian Pacific American Bar Association
Rate : $$$$