Sylvia J. Kim represents clients in employment and commercial litigation, wage and hour consumer class and collective actions, and labor-management relations disputes. Her experience includes matters involving claims and allegations related to unlawful harassment, discrimination and retaliation, wrongful termination, leave and accommodation, wage and hour issues, ERISA, arbitration, false advertising, consumer fraud and unfair competition.
She also has experience representing clients in employment mediations and Labor Commissioner proceedings, providing advice and counsel on leave and accommodation issues and conducting training and presentations on the prevention of unlawful employment practices.
Sylvia served as a judicial extern for Judge Stephen R. Reinhardt of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit and for Judge Andrew J. Wistrich of the U.S. District Court in Los Angeles, and as a law clerk for the Los Angeles District Attorney’s Office.
- Representation of financial institution in off-the-clock wage and hour class action. Defense motion to compel individual arbitration of claims was granted.
- Representation of financial institution in putative wage and hour class action alleging unlawful forfeiture of allegedly vested compensation under incentive compensation plans. Successfully obtained judgment on the pleadings on all claims.
- Representation of one of the largest financial institutions in the United States in multidistrict wage and hour class and collective action litigation. Defense motion to transfer 12 off-the-clock overtime putative class and collective actions for coordinated or consolidated pretrial proceedings was granted by Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation.
- Representation of financial institution in statewide putative class and collective action alleging off-the-clock overtime and related claims. Successfully opposed plaintiff’s motion to compel production of putative class members’ contact information and obtained order limiting production and then only after utilization of a court-approved Belaire West notice to those putative class members.
- Pepperdine University School of Law, JD, cum laude, Editor, Pepperdine Law Review, 2008
- University of California San Diego, BA, Political Science, BA Economics, 2004
Admissions : California
Rate : $$$