In his more than 25 years at McGuireWoods, T. Craig Harmon has focused his practice on real estate finance transactions and matters. He leads a group that represents participants in the mortgage lending area, including representation of institution lenders on originating and servicing/administration of mortgage loans; sellers and buyers of mortgage loans, participations and other investments in mortgage assets; and servicers of mortgage loans.
Related to his ongoing representation of institutional real estate investors, Craig advises clients on matters related to mezzanine loans, A/B notes, subordinated debt and other structured investment arrangements. He routinely represents participants in sale-leaseback, bond lease financing and similar transactions.
His experience includes representation of credit tenants, developers/equity participants and lenders, with a concentration on transactions involving national retailers as credit tenants. Portfolio acquisitions and sales, as well as transactions involving the purchase and sale of net-leased properties, including for the 1031 market, also make up a part of his practice in this area.
His practice also includes representing developers and end users on acquisition and lease transactions with a concentration on transactions involving national retailers as tenants.
He has written on a variety of lease finance and lease documentation issues, most recently as contributor to publications of the International Council of Shopping Centers, and he speaks at trade organization presentations, seminars and continuing legal education programs, most often on sale-leaseback issues.
In addition to his primary focus on real estate finance, Craig also represents various participants in the music industry. An outgrowth of his involvement in the music industry as an avocation, this area of his practice has led him into representation of recording artists on all major record labels, as well as music producers, personal management companies and recording studios.
- Representation of life insurance company as program counsel in mortgage lending platform. We act as outside counsel in closing a majority of the lender’s mortgage loans in the United States.
- Representation of financial institution in equity investment program, including acquisition, financing and disposition of office, retail, hospitality and industrial real estate assets.
- Representation of Fortune 500 company in sale leaseback program. Representation included hundreds of millions of dollars in transaction value as well as advice and structuring relating to FIN46 and related accounting issues.
- Representation of federal agency in connection with disposition of debt assets secured real estate. Representation included structure of special investment vehicles for private investment.
- Representation of U.S.-based investment group in acquisition and development of multiple projects in several countries within Central America.
- Representation of multiplatinum, Grammy wining recording artists in connection with merchandise, affiliation and sponsorship arrangements.
- Emory University School of Law, JD, with Distinction, Managing Editor, Law Review, 1986
- The University of Tennessee, Knoxville, BA, with High Honors, 1983
Admissions : New York, Virginia
Rate : $$$