Mr. T. William Opdyke is Of Counsel in the Corporate Practice Group in the firm’s Los Angeles office. He is also the head of Sheppard Mullin’s Corporate Trust, Indenture Trustee, Defaulted Bonds, and Public Finance Practices.
Mr. Opdyke’s corporate trust, indenture trustee, defaulted bonds, and public finance experience exceeds 35 years and has involved more than 250 bond issues and $10 billion of bonds, certificates of participation, notes and debentures and more than 100 default or potential default situations.
Mr. Opdyke also has extensive securities law, mergers and acquisitions and general corporate law expertise. He has represented management groups in LBO transactions, purchasers and sellers of a variety of businesses (including major divisions of Fortune 500 companies), and many family-owned business enterprises.
Mr. Opdyke has represented issuers, indenture trustees, borrowers, underwriters, placement agents, letter of credit providers, and other parties in public and private offerings of various types of tax-exempt bonds and certificates of participation, and in actual and potential defaults, workouts and bankruptcies involving a wide range of bond debt.
He has also participated in a number of leveraged lease and leveraged buyout transactions in various capacities. Mr. Opdyke was sole outside legal counsel to the California State Treasurer’s Task Force on Local and State Investment Practices.
- J.D., University of Michigan, 1974, magna cum laude
- B.S., University of Colorado, 1970, magna cum laude
- Represented corporate trustees in prepackaged Chapter 11 proceedings and in various corporate and project bond default matters outside of bankruptcy, with a number of such matters resulting in payment in full to bondholders.
- Represented corporate trustees in various revenue bond defaults involving real estate projects and the exercise of remedies (including foreclosure and ultimate sale, obtaining receivers and litigation).
- Represented corporate trustee of a defaulted bond program in a complex insurance company insolvency/rehabilitation proceeding.
- Represented corporate trustee in complex litigation and negotiation of a $62 million settlement fund to help support a $105 million revenue bond program secured by condominiums subject to land subsidence problems.
- Represented underwriters and placement agents in offerings of various tax-exempt multifamily revenue bonds, industrial development bonds and other financings.
- Represented State of California as Bond Counsel and Disclosure Counsel in various offerings of general obligation bonds and revenue anticipation notes aggregating more than $3.5 billion.
- Represented preferred stock financing level in connection with the acquisition of Charles Schwab from BankAmerica Corporation.
- Member, Technical Advisory Committee to the California Debt Advisory Commission
- Certified Public Accountant
Rate : $$$$