For over 15 years, Tab R. Urbantke has represented and counseled some of the largest energy companies in Texas and the United States, including electric and gas utilities, transmission-only utilities, retail electric providers, power marketers, generators, mining companies, and other energy sector clients.
Tab regularly advises clients of the regulatory implications and risks of project development, capital market, and commercial energy transactions. His experience includes both rulemaking proceedings and administrative litigation involving a variety of rate case, licensing, complaint, and merger proceedings before numerous state and federal agencies, including the Public Utility Commission of Texas (PUCT), the Railroad Commission of Texas (RRC), the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ), the State Office of Administrative Hearings, the Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), and several state public utility commissions.
He has also led negotiations for clients on a variety of commercial energy transactions. Additionally, Tab has significant experience advising clients on legislative strategy, drafting and advocacy efforts.
- Represented Texas’ largest electric utility in connection with the PUCT and the FERC’s approval of sale, transfer, and merger applications arising from majority owner’s bankruptcy and restructuring – one of the largest bankruptcies in US history.
- Represented Texas’ largest electric utility in connection with the PUCT’s approval of a $400 million asset swap with another major electric utility.
- Represented Texas’ largest electric utility in connection with multiple system-wide cost-of-service rate cases before the PUCT and municipal regulatory authorities with billions of dollars at stake in capital investment, smart meter/grid technologies, and energy efficiency rate mechanisms.
- Assisted in representation of a new-market entrant transmission-only utility in litigated proceedings before the PUCT, including multiple applications for certificates of convenience and necessity for proposed transmission line facilities, and an initial application for transmission service rates.
- Represents electric utilities in connection with matters involving new transmission line construction, including interfacing with ERCOT and obtaining appropriate regulatory approvals and negotiating interconnection and other commercial agreements.
- Lead counsel for major Texas utility in legislative drafting and advocacy efforts, including issues relating to electric ratemaking, transmission line planning and certification, renewable energy, energy storage, and condemnation.
- Assisted in representation of a large nuclear generator before the TCEQ regarding the establishment of a regulated low-level radioactive waste disposal rate.
- Lead counsel for a natural gas midstream company in connection with a shipper’s rate-related complaint before the RRC, including representation in mediation proceedings.
- Assisted in representation of Texas’ and the United States’ largest natural gas local distribution company in connection with the RRC’s prudence review of several billion dollars in natural gas purchases.
- Lead counsel for a major competitive power company in connection with its mine permitting, reclamation, and bonding efforts.
- Represented and counseled clients on compliance with North American Electric
- Reliability Corporation and regional reliability standards, including preparation for and participation in audits and investigations.
- Represented Texas’ largest electric utility on implementation of environmental mitigation requirements under the Endangered Species Act.
- Assisted in the representation of Texas’ largest power generation company before the PUCT in terminating its state-mandated obligation to auction off generating capacity.
- Assisted in the representation of a power marketer in alternative dispute resolution efforts before the ERCOT and related PUCT appeals regarding wholesale settlement and market payment issues.
- Counseled a large Independent System Operator in the Eastern Interconnection regarding administration of unbundled wholesale electric markets, including tariff administration and interpretation, regulatory compliance, and corporate governance matters.
- Led drafting and negotiation efforts on behalf of Texas’ largest electric utility in connection with rate-related, eminent domain, smart meter , and other legislative issues.
- Assisted in representation of a nuclear generator in development, advocacy, and passage of homeland security legislation.
- Assisted in representation of a national retail food chain in connection with food labeling and licensing requirements
- JD, Baylor Law School, Order of the Barristers, 2002
- MPPA, Baylor University, 2002
- BA, Political Science, Baylor University, 1998
- US District Court, Eastern District of Texas
- Member, Administrative and Public Law Section, State Bar of Texas
- Member, Public Utility Law Section, State Bar of Texas
- Member, Gulf Coast Power Association
- Member, Dallas Bar Association
Rate : $$$