Takeo Akiyama is a senior partner and the co-leader of Pillsbury’s Japanese practice. He currently represents more than 100 Japanese-owned companies.
Mr. Akiyama has more than 40 years of experience representing Japanese clients in connection with every aspect of their operations in the United States. Whatever matter the client brings to him, it is a sure thing that he has handled similar cases before.
His knowledge of the law in numerous fields and his familiarity with the organization, decision-making system and risk management style of Japanese companies enables him to deliver unique services and results.
While Mr. Akiyama’s primary area is Corporate—including M&A, joint ventures and strategic alliances, as well as distributorship and licensing arrangements—he has in-depth experience in providing Japanese companies with advice in every area which they may encounter doing business in the U.S., including employment, crisis management, litigation and dispute resolution.
REPRESENTATIVE EXPERIENCE :
- Advising Bridgestone Corp. on sweeping corporate reform initiatives of its U.S. subsidiary, including corporate reorganization, corporate governance and compliance, risk management issues, decision-making system and intercultural communication.
- Advising dozens of Japanese companies on employment issues comprehensively, from day-to-day counseling to mediation and litigation, including reduction in force as well as claims involving national origin and gender discrimination that were successfully defeated at trial.
- Advising Japanese companies in hundreds of corporate matters including M&A, joint ventures, strategic alliances, and corporate governance and compliance.
- Advising a Japanese pharmaceutical company in connection with its co-promotion of drugs with a major UK company and its U.S. subsidiary.
- Drafting and negotiating a technology licensing agreement for a Japanese company in connection with a joint venture formation.
- Representing a Japanese automotive parts manufacturer in connection with a claim for reimbursement of recall-related costs and successful settlement through mediation.
- Former general manager of the legal department of a leading Japanese trading company for 18 years, both in Japan and in the United States
- Outside board member and member of the corporate governance and audit committee of a Japanese insurance company
- Board member, Management Decision Laboratory, New York University Stern School of Management
- President of Apple Society, NY/NJ Patent Study Group, and Josuikai (president of NY Hitotsubashi Alumni Association)
- LL.M., University of Washington School of Law, 1975
- LL.B., Hitotsubashi University, Faculty of Law, 1969
ADMISSIONS : New York
Rate : $$$