As partner, Tamsen Barrett focuses her practice on intellectual property matters which include domestic and foreign patent prosecution, enforcement, and strategic development of patent portfolios. Tamsen’s experience emphasizes biotechnology related matters, and her experience includes the areas of genetic engineering, gene therapy, molecular biotechnology assays, drug screening and targeting, biotechnology, renewable energy, clean energy technologies, plants, organic chemistry, pharmaceutical development, and medical devices.
Tamsen counsels clients regarding the development, management, and commercialization of commercially valuable intellectual property portfolios on a global scale. She has significant experience with the preparation of enforceability, validity, patentability, and freedom-to-operate opinions and provides due diligence review of intellectual property to companies and investors.
Tamsen’s patent prosecution practice includes all aspects of drafting and prosecuting patent applications before the United States Patent and Trademark Office, including appeals before the Patent and Trademark Appeal Board. She also supervises the prosecution of patent applications before many foreign patent offices.
Previously, Tamsen worked as a registered contract patent agent and served as an intern for the District Court of the Honorable Judge Joy Flowers Conti.
- JD, University of Pittsburgh, 2006
- BS, Biochemistry, Iowa State University, 2003
Representative experience :
- Experience in preparing patent applications, responses to office actions, appeal briefs, examiner interviews, and a variety of other related prosecution matters
- Formulate strategies for prosecuting patent applications in foreign jurisdictions and supervise execution of those strategies
- Develop and manage strategies and process of IP review and clearance during and after product development
- Manage the monitoring and maintenance of a company’s patent portfolio
- Research and advise a company on the process of design registration in foreign jurisdictions
- Prepare applications for Plant Variety Protection
- Texas State Bar
- US Patent & Trademark Attorney
Memberships and activities :
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
- Austin Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
- US Patent and Trademark Office
- State Bar of Minnesota
Rate : $$$$