Terrance Evans is a partner in the Trial Practice Group of Duane Morris in San Francisco. He concentrates his practice in representing the financial services industry, which includes international, national and community banks; loan service companies; and insurance companies.
During his career, Mr. Evans has both recovered and saved clients of the firm tens of millions of dollars in settlements, judgments and extrajudicial procedures. Mr. Evans is also a member of the firm’s Diversity and Inclusion Committee, and serves as the West Coast Vice Chair of the Duane Morris Banking Practice Group.
With respect to the insurance industry, Mr. Evans concentrates his practice in complex commercial litigation and policy interpretation and analysis. He has represented commercial primary, excess and umbrella insurers in a wide range of multimillion-dollar cases, including declaratory relief, bad faith, rescission, subrogation, indemnity, additional insurance, interpleader and reformation actions.
Mr. Evans has served as national coordinating counsel and monitoring counsel for insurance companies evaluating multi-jurisdictional claims where the exposure was estimated in the hundreds of millions of dollars. Mr. Evans has extensively advised commercial insurers and policy holders regarding primary, excess and additional insurance obligations in jurisdictions around the United States.
His experience includes analyzing and advising clients regarding claims related to the construction industry, automobile industry, homeowners associations, real estate agents, accountants, enrolled agents, attorneys, ministers, international religious organizations, intellectual property, trademarks, mobile home parks, international imports and exports, interstate commerce, livestock, retail chains, wineries, cemeteries and other commercial establishments. He has also advised insurers regarding issues related to national security and the U.S. military.
Mr. Evans has negotiated settlements in dozens of multimillion-dollar cases, litigated in more than ten states, and has participated in more than 100 mediations, mandatory settlement conferences, and other forms of alternative dispute resolution for matters in both federal and state courts. Mr. Evans has also successfully represented clients in appellate matters, including matters before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Mr. Evans graduated from Cornell University, where he made multiple appearances on the Dean’s List, and was a Cornell Tradition Fellow. He also graduated from Loyola Law School in Los Angeles with recognition, and he was ranked as the Third Best Oral Advocate in the United States at the Frederick Douglass Moot Court Competition.
- Obtained on behalf of a national bank after oral argument in a multimillion-dollar banking case in Orange County Superior Court an adoption of a tentative ruling and a sustained Demurrer to all plaintiffs’ claims, including claims for unfair business practices, breach of contract and fraud.
- Won a judgment for a national bank following a successful Demurrer to a Second Amended Complaint in a habitability case that was filed after the bank’s foreclosure on a multi-million dollar apartment complex in Contra Costa County.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a mezzanine lender in the Complex Division of the Los Angeles County Superior Court (Central Civil West) in what is among the largest coordinated securities actions in California history, where plaintiffs were alleging $200 million in damages.
- Represented an insurance company in a multimillion dollar lawsuit in the United States District Court for the Northern District of California, San Jose Division. Discovery efforts resulted in plaintiff withdrawing its contribution and equitable indemnity claim in connection with an underlying Calderon Proceeding involving construction defects in large residential development.
- Obtained on behalf of Capital One, N.A., in the United States District Court for the Central District of California, a dismissal with prejudice of a high exposure lawsuit in connection with a foreclosure on a luxury home located in Los Angeles, California.
- Represented small business in its Petition for Redetermination before the California Franchise Tax Board.
- Recovered several million dollars for claimants involved in asbestos litigation.
- Represented several general contractors and subcontractors involved in construction defect litigation.
- Won summary judgment for lender in a multimillion-dollar stop notice lawsuit.
- Secured transfer tax refund for bank involved in municipality dispute.
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Central District of California
- Minority Corporate Counsel Association (MCCA)
- California State Bar Litigation Executive Committee
- California Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Association of Defense Counsel of Northern California and Nevada
- California Black Lawyers Association
Rate : $$$$