Terrence J. Sexton defends companies and individuals in high-stakes litigation nationwide, focusing his practice in the areas of toxic torts, products liability, legal ethics and consumer fraud. His work on behalf of these clients at both the trial and appellate level has led to consistent success in state and federal courts alike.
And his achievements as a litigator led Lawdragon magazine to name Terry to their list of “New Stars,” a selection of the top young attorneys in the United States.
Terry’s successful defense of Lorillard Tobacco Company in Ohio was recently featured in The Wall Street Journal, The National Law Journal, Forbes Magazine and other national publications.
That case, Kananian v. Lorillard Tobacco Co., et al, made headlines after Shook uncovered evidence of fraudulent claims and other litigation abuses by opposing counsel.
Terry was honored with the William G. Zimmerman Pro Bono Award for his successful representation of an Iraqi translator who sought asylum in the United States. Terry’s client and her family received death threats for assisting the U.S. State Department and military following the liberation of Iraq in 2003.
Terry has also served as a commissioned officer in the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve.
- Recently, Terry successfully defended a Catholic diocese in a pair of ground-breaking cases involving alleged sexual misconduct. In the last few years, Terry has appeared on behalf of clients in New York, California, Pennsylvania, Washington, Ohio, Missouri, Utah and Kentucky to counter claims ranging from conspiracy to breach of warranty and misrepresentation. Terry also has served as coordinating defense counsel in cases pending in high-stakes jurisdictions.
- J.D., cum laude, St. Louis University School of Law, 1995
- B.A., Rockhurst College, 1991
- U.S. Coast Guard Academy, 1987-1989
- U.S. District Court, District of Kansas
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Missouri
- American Bar Association
- American Catholic Lawyers Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
Rate : $$$$