Terry J. Satterlee focuses on complex environmental and regulatory disputes regarding local, state and federal agencies. From Clean Water Act and Clean Air Act permitting and enforcement to hazardous waste permitting, brownfield development and corrective action to Superfund remediation and FIFRA enforcement actions, Terry’s broad background provides her the ability to practice in all areas of environmental law, representing defendants, municipals and industry in Clean Water Act rule-making and enforcement, and the Resource Conservation (RCRA) and Recovery Act 2020 regulations and remediations.
Terry has practiced environmental law for more than 25 years since working for the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Region VII (Missouri, Kansas, Iowa, and Nebraska). During her time with Region VII, Terry served as chief of the legal branch of its Enforcement Division and acted as attorney advisor to its regional administrator.
Terry also tracks and analyzes national litigation affecting the interests of public entities providing water and air services. Her clients have included agricultural companies, cement companies, chemical companies, public utilities and sewer districts, development companies, and manufacturing companies nationally.
Previously, Terry successfully represented Harmon Industries in the RCRA overfilling case and successfully challenged the Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) “Nox SIP Call,” a ruling that removed Missouri from the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) call.
She has also represented clients in rulemaking challenges, such as those pertaining to the HW Combustor MACT Rule. She has settled Sanitary Sewer Overflow cases (CSO/SSO) pursuant to the EPA’s water initiatives.
She has worked to obtain a Prevention of Significant Deterioration permit for a new coal-fired power plant and a determination for a new ethanol plant, as well as defending Superfund and 7003 RCRA cases.
- J.D.,University of Missouri – Kansas City, 1974
- B.A., University of Kansas, 1970
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Missouri
- U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
- American Bar Association, Section of Environment, Energy and Resources
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow (2005)
- Association of Women Lawyers
- The Central Exchange, Co-founder
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association, Executive Committee (1991-1993); Environmental Law Committee (1989-1990, 2001-2001); Real Estate Committee
- The Missouri Bar, Energy and Natural Resources Committee (1985-Present); Chair (1991-1992); Vice-Chair (1989-1991)
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Kansas City, Board of Directors (2013-Present)
American Royal, Board of Directors (2008-Present)
- Greater Kansas City Chamber of Commerce, Federal Affairs Committee (2006-Present); Environmental Law Committee, Chair (1991-1993)
- University of Missouri – Kansas City Law Foundation, Board of Trustees (Aug. 2005-Present)
- Missouri Chamber of Commerce, Environment and Natural Resource Council (1990-Present); Chair (1998); Board of Directors (1997)
- Missouri State Parks, Board, Past Chair (1998-2002); Chair (1997-1998); Vice-Chair (1996-1997)
- Women’s Public Service Network (1987-Present)
- Kansas City, Missouri, Planning & Development Department, Steering Committee for Zoning Ordinance & Subdivision Regulations Revision (2006-2007)
- National Association of Clean Water Agencies, Legal Affairs Committee (1994-Present); Vice-Chair (2005-2007)
- University of Missouri School of Engineering, Environmental Engineering Committee (1991-1996)
- Kansas City Consensus Project for Metropolitan-Wide Planning, Compass, Steering and Coordinating Committees (1990-1994)
- Main Street Corridor Re-Development Corporation, Board of Directors, First Vice President (1989); Officer (1984-1988)
Rate : $$$$