Thea Parent has closed on billions of dollars in deals, with transactions covering acquisitions and dispositions of commercial real estate and companies located in most major U.S. markets, along with the related financings ranging from traditional mortgage loans to mezzanine loans and alternative financing structures.
She also possesses in-depth knowledge of the hospitality, resort, and restaurant industries and has lead the negotiation of hotel franchise agreements with Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt, and Intercontinental Hotels and management agreements with many of the major brands and a number of the independent hotel operators, including Sage Hospitality, Interstate Hotels and Resorts, Crescent Hotels, and HHM.
Thea provides practical legal advice with a view toward business objectives for her clients in the commercial real estate and hospitality industries. She has structured and documented development projects, joint ventures and strategic alliances. She has also advised developers, owners, and operators of hotel and resort properties with respect to franchise agreements, restaurant branding, operator management agreements, concession agreements, restaurant leases and management agreements, and vendor management.
Most recently, she provided legal advice to both Hersha Hospitality Trust, a self-advised real estate investment trust (REIT) in the hospitality sector, which owns and operates high-quality upscale hotels in urban gateway markets and HHM, an industry-leading hotel management, development, and investment company.
Active in the community, Thea provides pro bono legal assistance to MindLeaps, a nonprofit dance school founded in Philadelphia, which company uplifts children out of poverty and hopelessness by teaching them the cognitive and social-emotional skills critical for success in school and employment.
Upon graduating from Georgetown University Law Center, Thea served as a judicial law clerk to the Honorable Stanley S. Brotman of the U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey and the District Court of the Virgin Islands.
- Negotiated for the landlord major tenant leases for office, retail, and restaurants at a mixed use property in Rittenhouse Square, Philadelphia and a related spa management agreement and name license agreement for the facilities provided at the property.
- Represented a lender with respect to providing the mezzanine financing for the development of a $110 Million hotel near Union Square in New York City along with related intercreditor agreements.
- Lead the acquisition of the Parrott Key Resort and Villas, named “one of the top resorts in the Florida Keys” by Condé Nast Readers’ Choice 2018.
- Represented a hotel real estate investment trust (REIT) purchaser of a 19-acre resort in California, and negotiated the assumption of the CMBS debt with respect to the hotel resort property and the expansion and repositioning of the dining venues at the resort.
- Represented a hotel owner with respect to a “famous name” license covering the menu selections and restaurant venues at a resort property.
- Negotiated the construction mortgage loan and equity participation with respect to the development of the Hotel 48Lex in New York City and related major agreements such as the hotel management agreement, franchise agreement, and restaurant lease for the hotel.
- Represented one of the ten largest independent U.S. hotel management companies in negotiating management agreements across the country and the related loan financing secured by the management agreements.
- Represented a hotel management company and owner with respect to implementing state-of-the-art window billboard licenses for digital LED lighting and “see through” window billboards at several prominent hotels in New York City.
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 2003
- University of Maryland, B.A., 1998
BAR ADMISSIONS : Maryland; Pennsylvania
- Honorable Stanley S. Brotman, U.S. District Court — New Jersey, District Court of the Virgin Islands
Rate : $$$