Theodore J. Kobus stands at the forefront of cyber protection — no small role in an era defined by crippling data breaches and daily digital threats. The leader of BakerHostetler’s Privacy and Data Protection team and a member of the firm’s Policy Committee, Ted has earned authority in the areas of privacy, data security and cybersecurity, leading clients to entrust him with more than 3,500 data breach responses.
Businesses, government and other organizations turn to Ted for sound advice on compliance, developing response strategies, breaches implicating domestic and international laws, and defense of both class action litigation and regulatory actions. He knows the most proactive regulators involved in this space and interacts with them regularly.
Ted has led the defense to hundreds of regulatory investigations, including those brought by the Attorney General Multi-State, Department of Health and Human Services Office for Civil Rights, Departments of Insurance, SEC and FTC. In the healthcare space, Ted has defended more than 200 OCR investigations and has negotiated more privacy/security-related resolution agreements than any other lawyer.
Ted is consistently ranked in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, and he is one of only a handful of attorneys nationwide named an MVP by Law360 for Privacy and Consumer Protection.
He is a regular contributor to BakerHostetler’s Data Privacy Monitor blog, and he frequently speaks at major industry events regarding data breach response, risk management and litigation issues affecting privacy. Ted has spoken at the National Association of Attorneys General on data security issues in a closed session.
- Led the response efforts to approximately 50 percent of the top 10 healthcare breaches reported to date. Ted represents some of the largest health systems, as well as several of the most highly regarded academic medical centers. He has defended more than 200 investigations brought by all regional offices of the Department of Health and Human Services Office for Civil Rights. He and his team have negotiated more than 10 resolution agreements.
- Defending several Civil Investigative Demands brought by state attorneys general regarding a client’s data security practices and compliance with federal and state laws. He and his team have negotiated more than 15 settlements.
- Working with global companies regarding cybersecurity preparation, including facilitating tabletop exercises and developing incident response plans. Ted has conducted breach preparation exercises in various countries outside of the U.S. to address international issues.
- J.D., Widener University School of Law, 1994, cum laude
- B.S., Purdue University, 1987
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit, 2002
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit, 2002
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado, 2009
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Pennsylvania, 2004
Rate : $$$$