Theresa E. Thompson is an associate in the Corporate and Securities Practice Group in the firm’s Washington, D.C. office. Ms. Thompson’s practice focuses on such areas as health care fraud and abuse, particularly in matters relating to the civil False Claims Act, physician self-referral (Stark law), and anti-kickback issues, as well as telehealth and telemedicine.
She has experience in government investigations, litigation, and regulatory compliance, including in response to government anti-fraud and abuse enforcement efforts and regulatory inquiries.
A contributing author for the American Health Lawyers Association’s Health Care Reform Educational Task Force, Ms. Thompson received her J.D., with a Health Law Certificate, from the University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law, where she also served as the Manuscripts Editor of the Journal of Health Care Law and Policy, President of the Student Health Law Organization, and Treasurer of the Women’s Bar Association.
She is a recipient of two CALI Excellence for the Future Awards—one for the study of Health Law Fraud and Abuse and the other for Written and Oral Advocacy—and was part of a team that won first place in the Fifth Annual Health Law Regulatory and Compliance Competition.
While attending law school, Ms. Thompson became a Certified Student Attorney at the University of Maryland’s Public Health Law Clinic and worked with the Legal Resource Center for Public Health Policy. She also interned in:
- the Division of Technical Payment Policy at the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, where she analyzed the Stark Law and recommended potential regulatory clarifications for key terms;
- the Health Policy, Patient Advocacy, and Project Management Department of a not-for-profit Catholic health system in Maryland; and
- the office of Congresswoman Carol Shea-Porter of New Hampshire.
- J.D., University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law, 2016, cum laude
- B.A., Bowling Green State University, 2012, summa cum laude
Admissions : Maryland
- American Bar Association
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Phi Beta Kappa
Rate : $$$$