Mr. Thomas J. Bean has extensive experience counseling clients on evaluating, acquiring, and protecting intellectual property assets. He focuses his practice on patent matters, including domestic and foreign patent prosecution in the areas of communications, consumer electronics, consumer products, semiconductor and materials technologies, medical devices, casino and consumer gaming, software and network-based systems, and computer-implemented business methods.
Mr. Bean’s patent practice is also directed to patent and technology licensing, IP due diligence, product clearance and patent opinions, and patent post-grant procedures. Before joining Gibbons, Mr. Bean was Senior Counsel at Darby & Darby P.C. in New York.
Mr. Bean also held positions as an associate at Katten Muchin Rosenman in New York and as Corporate Counsel at Lucent Technologies Inc. and Avaya Inc. in Holmdel, New Jersey. At Avaya, Mr. Bean was responsible for setting up and administering the company’s patent prosecution practices, including the selection and deployment of docketing and related information management systems and the management of outside counsel, foreign associates, and patent annuity vendor services.
- Rutgers School of Law – Newark (J.D.)
- Stanford University (M.S.)
- Cornell University (B.S., cum laude)
- Participant, Cornell Cooperative Engineering Program
- State of New Jersey
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- United States Patent and Trademark Office (Reg. No. 44,528)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- New York Intellectual Property Law Association
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
Rate : $$$$