Thomas M. Dawson represents U.S. and non-U.S. insurers on regulatory, licensing and corporate matters. He is co-chair of the firm’s Insurance Regulatory and Transactional Team within the Corporate and Securities Practice Group.
Tom advises industry participants on a wide variety of regulatory and transactional matters, including cybersecurity compliance, insurtech ventures and Holding Company Act filings. He has assisted clients form, acquire and invest in U.S. insurers, reinsurers and intermediaries.
He counsels non-insurers on advertising, licensing and marketing generally, and provides regulatory compliance advice to service contract issuers and other specialty product providers.
Tom has guided non-U.S. re/insurers in the London market, Europe, Bermuda and in Asia for more than 25 years, helping them obtain and maintain surplus lines and reinsurer approvals as well as monitoring state and federal legislation.
Tom’s practice is limited to advising clients on U.S. law, and he is not admitted to practice as a solicitor in England and Wales.
Experience : Tom has advised numerous U.S. and non-U.S. insurance clients on regulatory, licensing and corporate matters over the course of his career. Among his recent representative matters:
- Forming and licensing of a new U.S. Branch of a non-U.S. reinsurer, including passage of state legislation permitting the venture.
- Obtaining NYDFS approval for a venture fund’s investments in two insurers, each in excess of 10%.
- Obtaining approval for multiple investment funds to file disclaimers of control following a debt-for-equity swap in which each fund acquired more than 10% of the equity of a regulated insurer.
- Advising many of the non-U.S. reinsurers that have obtained approval for (i) multiple beneficiary reinsurance trusts or (ii) “certified reinsurer” status.
- Advising numerous issuers of vehicle, watercraft, cell phone and consumer electronics service contracts on regulatory compliance and corporate structuring matters.
- Heading the team that provides state and federal legislation, regulatory and insurance tax advice to the International Underwriting Association of London (IUA), the leading trade association for international re/insurers.
- London School of Economics and Political Science, LL.M.
- St. John’s University School of Law, J.D.
- Colgate University, A.B.
Bar Admissions : New York
Rate : $$$$