Mr. Thomas Deer is currently serving his second term as a member of the Firm’s Board of Directors. Mr. Deer represents management in a variety of employment-related matters, including litigation involving age, race, sex, and disability discrimination claims, covenants not to compete, trade secrets, wage and hour claims, ERISA claims, and other workplace torts.
Mr. Deer has a national employment practice, and has defended cases for employers from coast to coast. Mr. Deer also serves as the relationship partner for a number of the firm’s national clients. In that role, he manages an Ogletree Deakins team to service the client’s labor and employment needs across a number of jurisdictions.
Mr. Deer has particular industry experience in the retail, financial, staffing, and higher education industries. Since 2009, Mr. Deer has been named in every edition of The Best Lawyers in America.
Mr. Deer has acted as lead trial counsel in employment discrimination/wrongful discharge and non-compete cases in federal district and state courts. At one jury trial, Mr. Deer’s client received a defense verdict of no liability on a novel “gender plus” legal theory. In another, Mr. Deer’s client received a directed verdict on liability.
Mr. Deer also practices traditional labor law. His labor experience includes bargaining contracts, handling labor arbitrations, grievance administration, and the defense of unfair labor practice charges before the NLRB.
- J.D., cum laude, Indiana University School of Law – Bloomington, 1994
- B.A., cum laude, Yale University, 1991
Admitted to Practice:
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Northern and Southern Districts of Indiana
- U.S. District Court, Eastern and Western Districts of Michigan
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth and Seventh Circuits
- American Bar Association (Past Chair; Employment Law and Litigation Committee of TIPS Section – two terms)
- Defense Research Institute (Employment Law Committee)
- Advisory Board, Executive Risk Insights Conference – Chicago (May 16, 2016)
Rate : $$$